Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (160 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 216

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

6 to 8 volt?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

REverett
See User information
Have a 41 Deluxe 110 (Woody) that is a little hard to start when hot. I am told an 8v battery may help however concerned with other issues like lights, etc.

Any thoughts on this change and what else may need to be addressed?

Rod

Posted on: 2012/1/3 11:32
 Top  Print   

Re: 6 to 8 volt?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
6 to 8-volt conversions were the stock & trade of the sleezy highway used car joints. Far better you simply find the current problem and fix it. Usual culprits are undersize (like 12 volt) battery cables, poor grounds, advanced ignition timing, or sometimes the condition of the starter motor itself. Going to 8-volt solves none of these and just masks the root problem.

For your underseat battery, the length of run is pretty short, "0" gauge battery cables are appropriate though heavier wouldn't hurt.

Posted on: 2012/1/3 11:36
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

REverett
See User information
All very good points and after a closer look, the battery cable is a bit small and about 18" longer than necassary.

Thnx for the advice.

Posted on: 2012/1/3 12:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I had a 40 120 that had an 8 volt battery when I purchased it. It sure cranked fast, but all the bulbs burned out in rather short order. I switched back to the 6 volt battery and changed to a single 0 cable for the positive wire made a huge difference, plus cleaning up all of the old grease and crud under the ground strap where it attached to the block. The previous owner had installed a generic 12 volt cable that was just too small to handle the 6 volt amperage.

Posted on: 2012/1/5 10:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, I tried an 8 Volt battery in my 38 Six for five years but went back to 6V because: Firstly the OEM regulator was non temperature compensating so the initial voltage to keep the battery charged at 9.6 V, was up to 10.5 V. I kept blowing bulbs if I switched the lights on within around 1 minute of starting the veh.
Secondly, the 38 Six did not have lighting relays and the ammeter carries all of the lighting and charging amps. I upgraded the lights to 50/50 Watts each and the Ammeter was really starting to cook before the regulator heated up and stabilised the voltage.
I would not go back to 8V and have sorted out the six volt system, including fitting a later 50's 6V starter with almost double the cranking torque.
I would agree with O-D to check your cable gauge and earths before trying 8V. best regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2012/1/5 16:36
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Could be as simple as a tired battery. The regular 6 volt batteries you get these days don`t seem to last long especially if you don`t use the car much.

I`m told Optima batteries are way better with more power to start with and don`t pooh out so soon.

Posted on: 2012/1/5 22:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
00 gauge battery cable is better.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 9:52
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved