Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 224

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 Horn ring
Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
How does the horn ring secure into the center of the steering wheel?
I have the brass center section on the underside, the horn works when in, however I would like to secure it properly.
I assume I am missing a part.
Thanks all.

Posted on: 2012/1/4 20:24
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 Horn ring
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Check the bottom of this thread in Wade's Workshop and see if it helps.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2179&forum=10&post_id=87081#forumpost87081

Joe

Posted on: 2012/1/4 22:43
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 Horn button
Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
Thanks Joe.
I should have said "button". It helped to understand better, however I don't know how the button stays in.
I am probably missing a part. Appreciated.

Posted on: 2012/1/6 19:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear ALM:

Originally the plastic piece was a press fit into the hub.

Over time the plastic distorts and the button ends up held in place by the spring.

The horn ring flexes on those little cams which deflects the corresponding inner flat into contact with the copper contact.

The plastic parts looked great when new, but rapidly deteriorated. I remember when, before you could get reproduction parts, almost every 18th-20th series Packard dashboard and interior parts looked like crap.

The only one I can remember that looked good was an 18th series 180 limo that sat idle in a heated New York City garage with under 9,000 miles on it. That car was still new and the plastic looked fantastic. And boy, it drove like a million bucks. Driving that car was an education in all the wearing points that cannot be restored.

Posted on: 2012/1/6 19:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
Thank you Tim.

Posted on: 2012/1/7 23:48
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved