Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
79 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 76

29tons, Marvin, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

timid mod ;battery
Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
6 volt batteries I can find now- a- days at the auto parts are all about 6-700 cch ,there all "group 1 "
I heard on the forum the 52 200 I drive originally specified a 6 volt 1100 cch battery ,can't find this .
At a battery shop I saw a " group 3 " 6 v battery that had 900 cch ,better! but its 16 " long with A width similar to any other battery ,Ill have to stretch the battery holder mounted on the fender to about 17" Is it worth the expence and work to get the extra cranking hr's?

Posted on: 2012/1/12 0:24
 Top  Print   

Re: timid mod ;battery
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Assuming your cables, starter, etc. are in good shape a battery in the range of 675 - 700 CCA should be more than adequate. I say this based on touring with quite a few 6-volt Packards with this capacity battery and they start quickly and are utterly reliable.

If you're really interested in more and are willing to change the dimensions of the box, consider a NAPA 7212, 1170 CA at 32 deg, 975 CCA @ 0 deg.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NBE7212_0213556027

Posted on: 2012/1/12 9:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And the other option to fit your existing tray (and probably most expensive) is the Optima 6v. 800 CCA

Posted on: 2012/1/12 10:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
Thank you ,
I looked up the NAPA battery on line but it didnt have the dimentions on it ,the battery tray sits right on top of the heater /fresh air duct on the left inner fender so If the battery is real tall ill have to move the duct.The hood slopes up gracefully so it looks like a good bit of headroom though .I could slit the tray in 1/2 and add a pice of metal for a new bottom and rebolt the thing to the inner fender
After changing out everything else the biggest start difference has been from a healthy set of coil and spark plug wires I just put in .
any thoughts on the high torque field coil starter rebuild Ive seen offered on a post at the site ?

Posted on: 2012/1/12 13:08
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved