Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 214

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'33-'36 Hubcaps
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Its no secret that some hubcap strips and PACKARD EIGHT & PACKARD SUPER EIGHT surround and luggage rack medallion surrounds got paint body or wheel color; Parts Book states to specify color. If you study factory photos it seems like not all cars got treated to this feature. My question is why did this happen. Was it an option? Ive never seen a Packard piece of paper stating anything about it other than the Parts Book.

Posted on: 2012/1/14 9:36
 Top  Print   

Re: '33-'36 Hubcaps
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Great question! I'd love to have a definitive answer. It's been a bit of a mystery, hotly discussed at times, for decades and likely to remain so unless some long-lost documentation comes to light. Some have interpreted the "specify color" in the parts book (the only reference I know of) to mean on all cars which clearly isn't the case based on unmolested survivors; others take it to mean an unwritten option which might be more likely. Yet others have said it only occurred on senior cars with the "chassis in color" option, the cap color then matching the chassis color.

The same discussion has been had about colored cloisonne on the Twin Six and Twelve caps. When asked about that shortly before he passed away, the late Bob Turnquist is said to have said something like "it was available".

Barring the uncovering of some long-lost document, it's likely to remain one of those Packard mysteries, part of what makes the marque so endearing.

Attach file:

jpg  (5.72 KB)
177_4f1199de5e5ed.jpg 173X130 px

Posted on: 2012/1/14 10:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Packardbarry:

This is a great topic for discussion.

I personally have only seen original cars with either the hubcap paint work deleted or the cloisonne and chrome painted over completely in black. I've never seen any of this fancy-schmancy stuff that goes on today. For metal only I'm sure any Packard dealer would give the customer what they wanted via a local body shop to make a sale. That sort of thing goes on today. If a customer wants a painted bumper on a profitable vehicle sale, believe me, that will happen.

I have always felt that some of these accessories are over represented to the point of making cars less attractive.

Painted radiator shells, chrome wire wheels, extra parking lights, extra lights of all sorts, and mirrors were the exception rather than the rule.

One option that was seen often on 9th-11th series cars (especially eights and super eights) was chrome radiator shutters with a chrome shell. I have seen only occasional period pictures of those cars with an original painted radiator shell.

What I do see alot of is cars with this option being changed to a painted shell. Which is too bad because once you take a grinder to a Packard radiator shell I don't think the result can be reversed. So these non-authentic painted radiator shells are like destructoration.

Chrome wire wheels were not a common option and I think they are overused and unattractive. They make most Packard cars look like "pimpmobiles".

But as they say - "whatever turns you on"

Posted on: 2012/1/14 18:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Tim,

At least for the 11th series, the standard radiator shell and shutters treatment varied with model. Eights had a chrome shell and painted shutters, super-eights had a chrome shell and chrome shutters, and the twelves had a body color shell and chrome shutters. I can't find my documentation right now, but I am sure Dave C. can easily dredge it up from memory.

This might also be true for 10th series cars as well.

Tom

Posted on: 2012/1/15 22:04
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Heres a great example of body/wheel matching hupcap
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2659555328/nm0000964

I love this photo - its shows so many features
-Bumper recessed area is painted body color
-Fender Welting is body color
-Pad under HL bracket is body color
-Hood Corner Bumper is body color
-Shows a Pin Strip in the bumper recessed area - AN OPTION?
-AND the Hubcap painting - AN OPTION?

Posted on: 2012/1/16 9:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tom, you're right on target as usual with the "standard" radiator shell/shutter finish configurations for 1934 though for an extra cost any combination could be had. The idea behind the painted shell on the Twelves was no doubt to give the illusion of longer hood length.

Posted on: 2012/1/16 10:34
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved