Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 155

Ozstatman, Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Progress report
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Thank you!

Posted on: 2012/1/16 22:04
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Finally got into the mood to crawl under and start Ross' trans mods. Glad I did but not for the improvements reason.

First, one question I have for Ross is about the pump check valves. My trans has intermittent singing or buzz as Packard calls it but not when or quite as the bulletin describes. Not terribly loud or objectionable but decided to remove manifold and check for tight or improper sitting valves anyway. As you see, I had a different style with a depression on both sides and slightly different shape. They do seem to seal -- although one side isn't appearing worn or shiny whereas flat type is obviously seating all around port so maybe a question. The manual lists only one part number for 55-6. A quick look thru articles didn't find anything mentioning a change unless it is covered along with something else. Any idea if this was a factory change or perhaps aftermarket? Will probably put the original flat style back in unless there is a reason not to.

The reason to be glad I looked inside and as an FYI to others, was surprise when I took the pan off to find a small chunk of metal in the bottom. What now, I thought. Then wondered if maybe something had fallen down the oil fill -- until starting to remove the valve body. The split rivet which holds the manual valve link to lever had broken one side and rivet was halfway out. Looks like Hanks rivet replacement method will get another taker. I haven't heard of this particular rivet malady before but Ross might have since he eliminates them. Just keep it in mind along with the pot metal lever as a possible source of problems should something suddenly stop working.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.29 KB)
209_4f1dac695083f.jpg 640X300 px

jpg  (17.98 KB)
209_4f1dac74cf940.jpg 640X452 px

Posted on: 2012/1/23 13:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i hope it works and i'm glad i could help, since you help me so much!

PM me how it works, since i haven't had real world testing of it, although i'm sure it will be fine.]\

and fwiw, i think all my check valves were flat too.

Posted on: 2012/1/23 14:20
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Bought the binding post this morning. This being Fresno, had to check around before finding one that small. Slim pickings so guess it's not used on Chevys or tractors -- If it were, every store would carry some version of it.

One thing I'm wondering about is operating temp of Ultra. Locktite says good to 300 degrees and I wonder how close that is to operating temp. Don't want to be back in there anytime soon because the screw backed out.

Posted on: 2012/1/24 13:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
J.B. weld it then, put it on the threads. it would be easy to get it out again by drilling it. thing would never come off then unless you drilled it down the center of the binding post.

Posted on: 2012/1/24 13:21
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
JB Weld is a good idea. Thinking about it, Locktite is probably OK too. I know the car won't ever get very hot just backing out of the garage and back in after the occasional trip around the block. About all it's done for the last 15 years. Why change a good thing when I'm on a roll.

Posted on: 2012/1/24 13:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
also, i got that binding post from home depot....i guess they didn't have it near you?

Posted on: 2012/1/24 14:14
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I went to Orchard and Lowes nearby. Those were all too long and didn't want to mess with cutting one down. Found the short one at a local owned store.

Posted on: 2012/1/24 14:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
exciting....i sure hope it works out. YAY a real world test for something i came up with. ;0) excited!

now, just don't let me down little binding post!

Posted on: 2012/1/24 15:52
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

cli55er wrote:
exciting....i sure hope it works out. YAY a real world test for something i came up with. ;0) excited!

now, just don't let me down little binding post!

Sorry to say Hank, but there was a change of plans. Not the binding post idea but more the lack of a decent quality item available here. Also a reluctance on my part to do what was needed to make what is available fit. That's the part that let you down.

As mentioned, had a time finding the small 3/16 x 1/4 size. It also appears that particular brand must be made under less than ideal conditions as quality seems very poor. It is labeled 3/16. I do believe that is a Metric 3/16 because it wouldn't fit without drilling out the link. Instead of an item that should fit a .187 dia hole, first one was .194. Tried another and it was worse. No idea what the quality of metal is either. Guess 71 cents just doesn't buy much.

Did not want to drill anything larger and would not have been that easy to do decently while in car either. Decided to just order shoulder screws and locknuts and have done with it. Those arrived today, not nearly as inexpensive as binding posts but are .186 diameter and polishd steel. Locknut is the interference kind and should not need any locktite either. That bit still bothers me a bit on yours. Looking at link positioning, it looks as if it may be submerged or just barely out of hot oil in normal driving. Maybe you might consider the JB weld.

Attach file:

jpg  (24.43 KB)
209_4f230810ab82d.jpg 524X369 px

Posted on: 2012/1/27 15:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved