Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 107

Don B, William Grosz, Ian Gabriele, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

spark plug wires
Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
I recently had my 55 Clipper tuned up. The copper wired spark plug wires were replaced with radio resistant wires and the plug were replaced with resister plugs.
The car does not now run very good.
This car has the Auto-Lite system. As I recall, the 56 went to the resistant system. I know the rotor changed in 56.

Any thought as to if this could cause my problem?

Posted on: 2012/1/16 11:18
 Top  Print   

Re: spark plug wires
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The AutoLite distributor cap has a resistor plug in the center terminal. Your ignition system is being over suppressed with the resistor distributor cap plug, resistor wires, and resistor spark plugs. You need to eliminate some of this suppression. Obviously, the distributor cap needs to stay. Vintage ignition systems cannot tolerate the suppression of the modern high energy systems, Your mechanic used modern practice and parts when tuning-up your Clipper. Have him start by replacing either the wires or the spark plugs with non-resistor type and see how your engine runs after this. You may need to revert back to both non-resistor wires and plugs to restore performance.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/1/16 12:36
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: spark plug wires
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Clipper55

Any of the major Packard vendors can supply wires and if you want Packard 440 wire then you can get that from Dwight Heinmuller.

If radio noise is a problem then you can get capacitors and a ground strip for the hood that will wipe that out.

Posted on: 2012/1/16 19:49
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved