Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 226

John Wogec, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Radiator interchangability--Owen Dyneto's post
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The modern "extended life" antifreezes, usually a color other than green, have an "organic additive technology" type of corrosion inhibitor package. These should be avoided at all costs in our older cars with brass/solder radiators, heater cores, etc. You'll find quite a bit on this topic in other posts probably here but also on the PAC Forum. See for examplehttp://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1314&sid=62b32ee23844b6604bfa914c68634f15

The "good old stuff" like green Prestone uses a different corrosion inhibitor package which better suits our older cars. BUT the corrosion inhibitors don't last forever; they are consumed in the process of doing their job. Probably two or three years at most is all we should expect from them. So change your antifreeze every 2 or 3 years. The antifreeze won't loose it anti-freeze protection per se, it's the corrosion inhibitors that are depleted.

What I was referring to in that post is storing of radiators as spare parts with coolant in them. The same thing applies.

Posted on: 2012/1/31 16:06
 Top  Print   

Re: Radiator interchangability
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
My 1951 200 w/standard transmission and 288 ci engine had "288" stamped on the upper tank, facing the engine. It didn't cool adequately before I overhauled the engine. Afterwards it was even worse, as I installed a 327 crank and rods plus boring it out. I had a 327 automatic radiator that had been stored dry for at least ten years. When it was checked out, it was deemed unusable due to dry rot. So I had the 327 radiator modified last fall with a new core, keeping the original top and bottom tanks. It cost me $495 in Billings MT. The engine stays comfortable now, even on 100+ days. One of the things I may do this spring is to move the radiator back slightly by adding some rubber spacers between the radiator bracket and radiator in order to get it closer to the fan. I'd recommend the recoring - easy way to get good cooling without working yourself to death.

Posted on: 2012/1/31 22:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
David, I also recored the radiator on my 1947 Clipper Custom with a modern design core while retaining the upper and lower tanks. It helped the cooling tremendously. Packard used a rubber washer mounting system for its radiators on the 24th thru 56th series cars. Look at my project blog (Adventures with a 1955 Clipper) for a description of how I adapted modern parts to substitute for originals.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/1/31 22:13
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
Looks like the cost of a recore on my '51 is going to be just shy of $500.

Now I'm thinking of just finding a more modern replacement. Anyone out there swap-out their OEM radiator for something else? Aftermarket or other make/model.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 21:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
Any ideas out there? Maybe I should move this question to the modification forum...

Posted on: 2012/4/11 10:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't recall anyone trying a retrofit to a 51-4 style but there was a few posts on using a Ford truck radiator in 55-6 models. There were some pictures and required some brackets and a bit of work. Believe PackardV8 was familiar with that mod so if he comes on and remembers where that discussion was, perhaps we can see if it could be done on earlier cars.

Posted on: 2012/4/11 10:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved