Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Radiator interchangability
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
I need to install a new radiator in my '51 200 with manual transmission.

Are all '51-'54 radiators the same? Is there any benefit (i.e. improved design/cooling) by installing a '53 -'54 model?

P.S. Any one in North/East Wisconsin have an extra one?

Posted on: 2012/1/24 23:17
 Top  Print 

Re: Radiator interchangability
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Are all '51-'54 radiators the same?

No, they are not. Can't tell you what all the differences are but if you take the time to consult the 51-54 parts manual which is available online here for browsing or download, you'll see there are about 12 different radiators used between 51 and 54. As the bodies are similar, there is probably a high degree of physical interchangeability.

Posted on: 2012/1/25 9:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I don't know but i'm guessing not much difference in horse collar between 51 and 56. See this thread (all of it) for what i did on my 56:

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5042&forum=3&post_id=54120#forumpost54120

Posted on: 2012/1/25 9:45
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
AS others have said, the cradle was the same for 51-4 on non AC cars so all will bolt in. Even AC cars had the same radiator shape and mount size but I believe with another row or two in the core.

Here is the comparison. Spec wise, the various radiators appear pretty close in capacity, flow and construction until 54. That year they changed flow rates considerably and increased psi on pressure cap across the board. Earlier years mostly the same on all--minor capacity or flow change. Any difference was mainly higher pressure cap rating on senior models.

I don't know how much luck you will have finding a really good used. Several who have tried had their find checked by a radiator shop. Most found the old core in their hoped for acquisition was so thin, shop said it needed repair. Also felt it would not be reliable long term. Some wound up just getting their original recored.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.70 KB)
209_4f202dcf2fb30.jpg 1120X235 px

Posted on: 2012/1/25 11:30
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I fully agree with HH56's comments about finding a good, serviceable used radiator. Many of the Packards I'm familiar with that have never been out of service for a significant time still run their original radiator cores with no problems. Radiators that are sitting dry and open to the atmosphere tend to deteriorate internally quite significantly over time. And to a lesser but potentially still significant extent, those sitting with antifreeze as the corrosion inhibitor packages have a finite life.

If you find a good used one, consider yourself fortunate.

Posted on: 2012/1/25 12:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
I will probably just get mine recored. But its good to know the options and opinions. Thanks everyone.

Posted on: 2012/1/28 23:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

oregonstan
See User information
mtpackard1,
Could you let me know how much that cost you to get your radiator recored. I'm probably heading toward that route myself.

Posted on: 2012/1/29 9:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
If you decide to re-core, You will have your choice of core designs to use. You can increase the efficiency of the radiator with the new designs. You may want to do something better than what was available as originally built. Cost will vary and can get expensive for the most efficient cores. Let us know how you decide to go and the cost.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/1/29 12:45
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Things may be more expensive here in the Northeast; based on a couple of fairly recent experiences here I'd estimate at least $600 to replace a 3-row with a 4-row core on a 51-54 Packard radiator.

Posted on: 2012/1/29 14:06
 Top  Print 

Re: Radiator interchangability--Owen Dyneto's post
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mark Buckley
See User information
Owen wrote:

"those sitting with antifreeze as the corrosion inhibitor packages have a finite life."

Could you expand on this please? All I have in my 1950 radiator is a 50/50 mix of water and Prestone. Is this inadequate for a daily driver?

Thanks much,

Mark

Posted on: 2012/1/31 15:51
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved