Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 167

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Front door problem 1948 22nd Series Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Hi Hope someone out there can help me AGAIN PLEASE PLEASE !!

I have a problem with my front left hand side door which shuts correctly but only sometimes.

I have narrowed the problem down to the rotating "star wheel" which protrudes through the door side.

Sorry for the very non-technical parts description, if anyone can give the parts their correct names it would be a great help.

Attached is a copy of my Parts Book Plate No.38 (offending bit arrowed)

Attached too is a photo which shows the wear to the "star".

I'm sure that this must be a common problem but have no idea how to overcome it - so anyone who has had this fault please reply.

Best regards to all Michael

Attach file:

jpg  (90.37 KB)
1329_4f205f8dd1316.jpg 929X1280 px

jpg  (61.71 KB)
1329_4f205fe7efd91.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/1/25 14:57
 Top  Print   

Re: Front door problem 1948 22nd Series Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Some suggestions from last year.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=77296#forumpost77296

I don't know if this is the item mentioned in the other thread or if it needs a different version. Perhaps someone could confirm or if not, might give an idea what to look for.http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOOR-LOCK-ROTO-REPAIR-KIT-1949-50-MOPAR-DODGE-PLYMOUTH-CHRYSLER-DESOTO-/330664847920?hash=item4cfd292a30&item=330664847920&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Posted on: 2012/1/25 15:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks Howard

Early in the morning over here in U.K - but I'm on the case and will look at this thread and get back to you.

Best regards Michael

Posted on: 2012/1/26 3:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Hi Michael

That star wheel doesn't look too bad. I presume you tried all sorts of adjustments?

I think one can probably shop around for replacement strikers and wheels. Even purchase the whole assembly online at e-bay. I did that and received a very good condition star wheel.

In the meantime you might have to live with a door that shuts not very well, but at least stays closed! My driver side door used to open by itself when taking a left. Always a bad surprise! The replacement assembly off e-bay did the trick.

Posted on: 2012/1/26 9:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Hi Barrie

Hope all is well with you and yours in S.Africa ?

Tried all adjustments etc. No deal !! Following Howard's advice have ordered 2 Kits from USA.(see photo)

The kits you tried were I think the same ones : Roto-Lokit (L-2)? - did you find them an easy task to fit ? - any problems or tips on the job please let me know.

Thanks to you and to Howard - don't know where I'd be with out you guys - thank goodness for packard info.

Cheers Michael

Attach file:

jpg  (23.24 KB)
1329_4f218a42a54ff.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2012/1/26 12:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd also suggest you check your door for sag, often caused by wear of the lower door hinge pin. If excessive, your new door latch may be subject to premature wear.

Posted on: 2012/1/26 12:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As mentioned in the post with the link, I just hope someone confirmed those are the right kits. That store has others and I think one label was for the passenger front and drivers rear. Must confess to having difficulty understanding why the site labels those cross corner since 49-50 Mopar front and rear doors look to open the same direction. Maybe covers earlier years as well in which rears did open differently.

Posted on: 2012/1/26 12:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also you may need to "shim" the the striker plates. Packard made various metal shims in different thicknesses for this purpose.

You "paint" the star wheel with something like a dry-erase maker, and then close and open the door a few times to see where and how much of the star is engaging on the striker plate.

Posted on: 2012/1/26 21:12
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Understood Guys

Many thanks to you all - I'll keep you informed on progress.

Barrie (Africapackard) seems to be the only one who HAS used one of these kits - would be nice to know before I hack away at mine from some others with positive (successful) results.

Cheers Michael

Posted on: 2012/1/27 8:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information

Posted on: 2012/1/29 14:37
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved