Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 225

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: Several questions...
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
And the threaded portion that accepts the nut is obviously the same whether old or new because they all use the same nut and washer except for the aluminum head in 54.

Posted on: 2012/2/18 18:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I have a set of used studs from a 1954 Patrician - as I examine them they seem to have rolled threads on one end and cut threads on the other, as per Randy's prior comment.

Posted on: 2012/2/18 18:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It must be the interference fit in the block which helps keep water from wicking thru the threaded portion. It is interesting that no one at Max's knew about the rolled threads though.

I wonder if anyone ever accidentally switched the other way and if the early ones thread hard or exhibit something different in late engines. When Max's are ordered or installed, I would be interested to know how the threads compare to originals and how easy they thread in compared to the rolled.

Don't plan on ever being involved with another engine but a nosy mind with nothing better to do at the moment is curious.

Posted on: 2012/2/18 19:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2012/2/19 8:48
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
NOTE: From post #40 above:
"Yes to the first, they are not blind threaded holes."

So then i assume that to mean that the tapped holes in the block are exposed to the water jacket. Therefore regardless of what type of stud is used or not used and whether or not any type of stud is used to prevent leakage or loosening or not to either case, then permatex should unconditionaly be applied to the stud threads to insure sealing from the water jacket.

Posted on: 2012/2/19 9:04
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:
"Don't plan on ever being involved with another engine but..."

Why not??? Overhauling an engine sure beats sitting around with a 6 pack and a tele remote or manicuring each blade of grass in the lawn, or having to listen to some 30 or 40 year old house mouse bitch about the kitchen appliances that she never uses anyway. I mean WTF!!!

Posted on: 2012/2/19 9:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
Quote:
"Don't plan on ever being involved with another engine but..."

Why not??? Overhauling an engine sure beats sitting around with a 6 pack and a tele remote or manicuring each blade of grass in the lawn, or having to listen to some 30 or 40 year old house mouse bitch about the kitchen appliances that she never uses anyway. I mean WTF!!!

Agree about the grass. People do that for a living so who am I to deprive them. No one around I have to listen to and wouldn't if I did--which is probably why I don't have one around. Never could hold a 6 pack but will confess to going thru more than one remote and do own several.

As to the engine, Only have one inline -- a 47 356 I had rebuilt years ago but never installed. Has just sat so probably rusted solid by now. If I were to tear into it again, need to be comfortable and no more spare rooms available. Just don't think I could find a place it could fit into the house. If it did, with the way I approach my projects would get tired of falling over it before it ever got done.

My history of projects leaves a bit to be desired. Have many started and spread all over the place, some good ideas, most probably not. Usually the scenario is I start on something, need a part and send away for an item. By the time it arrives have moved on to another project & forgot what I had planned to do with whatever arrived.

Perfect example was my AC was almost finished, car halfway back together and was actually looking like something would be complete. Got to thinking about the brake thing again and how something looked. Also had an idea of another way to attack the ratio problem which I wanted to try. Stopped the AC and tore out the brakes (which I said I wouldn't do to use the car as a test again)--have some stuff on order and we're off to the land of nothing ever ending.

Posted on: 2012/2/19 11:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
" 356 I had rebuilt years ago but never installed. Has just sat so probably rusted solid by now. "

I doubt that it has rusted, probably none at all as long as it is stored in a reasonably dry garage or basement etc. I have had rebuilt and used engines setting in the basement and a garage that ran just fine for many miles after setting for as long as 7 years. Just have to keep them dry and any openings into the engine plugged.

Posted on: 2012/2/19 11:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Well now PackardV8, but how do you really feel???!!! I have to say that I have had my laugh for today, and first thing this morning too!

Posted on: 2012/2/19 12:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I went to the website that Packardv8 posted above and found this statement.
Compare this with the FAA/PMA "equilivant" cylinder that is not countersunk (shown below).

Attention to details is important on troublesome exhaust ports.

No to put too fine a point on it, BUT there is no such word known to Merriam-Websters as "equilivant". Attention to detail is important in English also

Seriously, I have learned a little more with this THREAD.
(pun intended). I just thought rolled threads were cheaper to make. That obviously is only part of the reason for using them.

Posted on: 2012/2/19 12:31
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved