Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 207

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Several questions...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Just got my new head gasket from Kanter and my brother-in-law wants to know if he should paint it with silver paint??? I have no idea what he is talking about, any ideas?

Also I need to address two things while she is out of commission. I want to add a second hood prop to the car and I noticed I need the cover/ flap/ whatever that covers the hole behind the battery is missing. I imagine water could enter the engine compartment via that hole if left as is. Does anyone know where those can be bought?

Posted on: 2012/1/29 20:37
 Top  Print   

Re: Several questions...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
bump

Posted on: 2012/1/29 22:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Which item are you referring to as missing. IIRC -- at least on later ones -- there is both metal and canvas filling some open areas.

I remember some painted gaskets but not enough details to offer an opinion. Wonder if the copper type sealer some have mentioned fills the same purpose..

Attach file:

jpg  (49.79 KB)
209_4f260ef2d610f.jpg 742X692 px

Posted on: 2012/1/29 22:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Painting a head gasket with silver paint is an old trick. Don't know if it does any good or not. I first heard of it 30 years ago. The idea is to spray the gasket and install it while the paint is wet. The paint helps seal the gasket and the fine aluminum powder that makes up the silver pigment won't melt or burn under heat.

Unless they have changed their policy all gasket makers recommend installing the gasket dry with no sealer or other substance.

Posted on: 2012/1/29 22:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
It may be the thing numbered 30.782 in the pic. It would cover a hole directly behind the battery in my '50 Super DeLuxe 8. I am thinking it would be rubber or something flexible.

Posted on: 2012/1/29 22:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The only spray I can think of for the head gasket would be something like the Permatex Copper Gasket spray.

For the second hood brace you can look for someone parting out a 22nd/23rd series Packard on e-Bay, or Craigs List and send them a message advising of your needs. That's how I got my vacuum antenna cylinder. Or just call the usual suspects.

I don't think there is a 'cover' for the opening in the inner fender behind the battery. For my 23rd series, I used a closed-cell foam strip around the opening which the battery compressed to form a seal. I will check my 22nd series tomorrow to see if there is any original seal left.

Posted on: 2012/1/29 22:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
One of the PAC clubs used to offer a second hood prop as a club fund raising project. Check the ads in the CNB. I bought a second one for my 47 Custom Clipper from a private party. Two are shown on some factory photos, but I believe the cars were only delivered with one. Two props do make it more convenient to prop the hood from either side.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/1/29 22:43
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Thanks guys! I will check in the Cormorant and see if anything shows up there. Seems everytime I open the hood, the prop is on the OTHER side! Time for two I say. I will await what you find on your 22nd series. I can't imagine Packard just leaving it open... But what do I know??

Posted on: 2012/1/29 22:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
g'day all, In the late 30's Packard recommended coating head gaskets with a sealant and most Packard head gaskets in the forties were precoated with some form of sealant. This was discontinued ( when dealers discovered that replacing head gaskets was a good income earner). Some head gaskets are still available at Swap meets with pre-coating. I would recommend that everyone re-tensions the cylinder head at yearly intervals and particularly before a liong distance "caravan". I still coat my copper asbestos gaskets both sides with a good "gum' gasket sealer. The gasket only lasts until you remove the head for some reason other than a leaking head gasket. I then remove the old sealant with abrasive paper, re-apply new "gum' sealant and re-use the old head gasket. This method has not failed me with any of my many vehicles since 1964. Best Regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2012/1/30 4:51
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Motor City Packards has the hood props. $8.00 plus $5.00 shipping.

Posted on: 2012/1/30 7:30
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved