Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
196 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 195

Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Adventures with a 1937 (115C) Convertible Coupe
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Hello All,

Another mild mid-winter day in central Texas. This led me out to the garage in the afternoon after taking care of some house maintenance items.

The car spent its life from 1990 though 2007 in Santa Fe, New Mexico, where nothing rusts. A patina is starting to cover unpainted parts after a few years in this humid climate. The voltage regulator is one of the first things you see when opening the LH hood section. I decided to remove and repaint it.

No big deal and I would not bring attention to this except it is a 4-terminal unit; unlike the more common 3-terminal types we mostly see. In addition to the GEN (armature), F (field), GND (ground) terminals there is one for IGN (ignition). I guess this goes with the 3-brush generator, but guess the ignition terminal is a feed for the ignition switch (taking its feed from the regulator instead of the starter solenoid?).

Upon completing the installation I noticed the amp meter showing a discharge. I started the car and the generator charged, but was discharging when not running. Not good. I removed the cover and released the sticking cut-out relay points. After that everything was back to normal.

Also, I wanted to pass on a shop hint. For those of us with small garages there is the constant presence of dinging up doors in these tight quarters. I was noticing the door on my 2007 Honda S2000 was getting hit by its Packard neighbor. To fix this I cut a short piece of 1/4" rubber tubing and split it. I then placed the split tubing on the 115C's door edge. It works great, still allowing the door to close and protecting its edge and the side of its garage mate.

Awaiting arrival of stainless steel nuts and washers to dress up the cylinder head. Should look nice.

Thanks for your time, and take care.

(o[]o)

Attach file:

jpg  (37.04 KB)
565_4f3557ce27003.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.73 KB)
565_4f3557e6002c5.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (13.14 KB)
565_4f3557f5577ac.jpg 480X640 px

jpg  (20.45 KB)
565_4f35580e34cda.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/2/10 12:50
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
looking good buddy!

i'm on week 2 of waiting on my SS bolts etc. When i called the first time it would only take 2 days to make the custom washers i needed. then i called 1 week later and they still were waiting. i didnt' call today (one more week) and still nothing from my bank account showing purchased and shipped.

they don't charge till they ship.

Hank

Posted on: 2012/2/10 15:00
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
JW, according to A.E.A. standard catalog of OEM equipment, your 37 115C should have an AutoLite generator (3rd brush style) and AutoLite regulator, VRD4001A or service replacement VRR4005A. So the Delco regulator you have was originally intended for another type vehicle which probably explains the extra terminal.

Posted on: 2012/2/10 15:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
JW, according to A.E.A. standard catalog of OEM equipment, your 37 115C should have an AutoLite generator (3rd brush style) and AutoLite regulator, VRD4001A or service replacement VRR4005A. So the Delco regulator you have was originally intended for another type vehicle which probably explains the extra terminal.

As shown in the 1937 Shop Manual on this site:

Standard equipment for the 115C was Delco and the 4 wire regulator is the original model 5812.

Auto-Lite was standard for the 120C.

Posted on: 2012/2/10 16:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Oops - should have looked at the top of the next column. 37 115Cs were apparently dual sourced between Delco and AutoLite. See details below. Also possible it varied depending on whether Detroit or Canadian manufacture?

Attach file:

jpg  (181.91 KB)
177_4f358fb6cff0b.jpg 887X1280 px

Posted on: 2012/2/10 16:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
O_D, The car's main electrical equipment is all Delco Remy: Generator, starter, distributor, and voltage regulator. I appreciate the attention you gave, thanks.

BDeB, Thanks for keeping the information correct.

Cli55er, my stainless steel nuts and washers arrived today, in a Priority Mail envelope. As the USPS says: "If it fits, it ships". The nuts were sourced from Taiwan and the washers are from India. All stock items so quick service. They also enclosed one of their catalogs.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/2/10 16:50
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not looking to create any friction here, but in terms of "keeping the information correct" my hardcopy of the 1937 Shop Manual for the 115C also shows that both Delco and AutoLite equipment was used.

Posted on: 2012/2/10 18:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
O_D, no friction here. I wrote my reply about the same time as you did, but you were quicker on the trigger. All of this electrical equipment information is good to know. I was always under the impression that the 115Cs were all Delco Remy. Thanks for your well informed contribution.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/2/10 22:33
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jason Smith
See User information
Hey, the starter, generator and distributor would sure look nice with some new Delco tags on them. I sell new tags stamped with your numbers. Let me know if your interested.
Jason
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
jason@aerrebuild.com
www.aerrebuild.com

Posted on: 2012/2/14 22:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Good to know about the tags, and something to keep in mind. Thanks.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/2/25 10:58
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved