Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 230

BigKev, RCJ56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: What's the best Packard for a newbie?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I also wouldn't let the presence of an Electromatic Clutch sway me one way or the other. At a minimum it's a conversation piece and easily disabled by just pulling the fuse and pushing a cork into the vacuum feed line. But I will say that when they work right, they're pretty neat.

Posted on: 2008/4/4 22:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Dave,The E.clutch on my Packard didn't work when I bought the car and it in no way adversely affected the car. It works now and adds to the enjoyment of Packard ownership.

Posted on: 2008/4/5 8:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I would have to add that whatever year you get, try to get a Senior car, they'll have more options and will be worth more in the end. If you can't find one, just do what I'm doing and make one from the ground up!

Posted on: 2008/4/5 19:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Bathtubs, the 48-50 models are hard to beat. There are quite a few still available for reasonable prices. One reason for the larger numbers available is that they set the second highest sales record for Packard.
I also agree to select a Custom (senior) car. The paint, interior etc. will cost about the same as a junior car and will be worth more than a standard 8.
These cars, especially with an overdrive are a pleasure to drive at normal highway speeds.(65mph).
Good luck and welcome the wonderful world of Packards.

Posted on: 2008/4/5 20:22
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

apb
See User information
Would your recommendations change for one who has a well equipted shop and is pretty mechannically adept?

I'm looking to use sweat equity to reduce the cash outlay for a car. I don't have strong feelings about the style and want something to drive on weekends and have fun with. Fun will include doing work in the way of restoration / repair but at some point I want a pretty reliable vehicle for weekend drives.

Also any price guidelines for postwar cars would be appreciated. As you might guess from the above I'm looking for something from complete and not running to running but rough and needing some TLC / repair.

Posted on: 2008/4/6 17:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't think you'd go wrong with anything postwar but do think the old adage "get the best you can afford" holds true because Packards do tend to cost a bit when restoring.

Another poster recommended a senior vs junior model because they both cost about the same to repair but seniors are worth more in the long run. Thats true, yet juniors are more plentiful and would be easier on your initial outlay.

Parts are probably more plentiful for the 48-54s, less chrome for the most part, and simpler interiors make for a little less strain on the wallet. If you're up to the challenge, then the special features, acres of brightwork, and fancy interiors of the V8s are hard to beat.

Prices are all over the place and depends on the area. The latest PI bulletin has what looks to be nice postwars from 5500 to 32,500. I'd guess a starting point of around $2500-3000 for something drivable.

Posted on: 2008/4/6 18:16
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

apb
See User information
I think I like the simplicity of the early post war or a bathtub.

What should I expect to pay for a running bathtub?

Posted on: 2008/4/6 18:33
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You also have to looks at doner car availability if required. For the V8 cars you have 55/56 to interchange with. Some brake and suspension parts go back as far a 51. But the there were trim, grill, interior, and running engineering changes between 55/56.

Between 51-54 there is alot of interchange so it gives you alot of "stock" of doner cars out there. Basically the motors and transmissions between 51-54 are all interchangable as are a majority of the body, trim and interior parts. 51-52 grilles are basically the same, as are 53-54.

Then you have the 48-50 "Bathtubs", and then the 46-47 models (which was the was generally from the same lineage as the 1942 models).

Normal service items such as brake shoes, tune-up and ignition parts can still be found at NAPA and other parts stores as long as you ask for them by modern part numbers. A lot of this information has been added to the Parts X-Ref database.

Posted on: 2008/4/6 18:35
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

apb
See User information
HH 56,

What is the PI Bulletin?

Posted on: 2008/4/6 18:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I originally suggested the "junior" models of the 1940's because parts availability is easier than for the "senior" car (Super and Custom Super) which have the 356 engine and not the more common 288/327. With the 48-50 models again the Custom, while a beautiful car by any standard, came with the less common 356 engine and a more complex grille and a far more luxurious interior which if needing restoration will be much more costly than a more common Eight or Deluxe. If you can find a Custom with nice original or restored interior it is probably a more desirable car but for a first timer I would not recommend an unrestored 46-50 Custom unless you have deep pockets. A 48-50 Packard in whatever model is usually priced lower than the 41-47 Clipper all things being equal but they are essentially the same car underneath the body so for a first timer they would be an excellent choice IMHO. The "junior" 48-50 models are among the lowest priced Packards you can buy yet they are excellent cars. I hesitate to put a price on one but a nice driver quality car can be bought for under $10,000.

Posted on: 2008/4/6 18:55
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved