Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
184 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 182

Darrin180, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Saw the speedster at the detroit autorama downstairs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Never got to look at it up close...what a fun looking but surprisingly high and large car! It's like you could do 130mph...through a field!

Attach file:

jpg  (118.82 KB)
1420_4f4a4e83e7c05.jpg 1280X721 px

jpg  (98.36 KB)
1420_4f4a50d6c4209.jpg 1280X721 px

Posted on: 2012/2/26 10:34
 Top  Print   

Re: Saw the speedster at the detroit autorama downstairs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
I am sure you know this, but that is not a Speedster engine. Intake and exhaust ports are flat, not angled as on the Speedster engine.

Still a neat looking build.

Tom

Posted on: 2012/2/26 10:44
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
That's Ron Schumans car. It started life as a '28 sedan and the build thread is on this site here:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2123&forum=10

I think he did a great job on it, it sure looks like it would be fun to drive. There were some other late 30's and 40's Packards upstairs but they were street rodded and I'll spare you the photos. One of them was even in contention for the Ridler award.

Here's an interview with Ron:

http://www.torquenews.com/119/detroit-autorama-2012-setup-night-1928-packard-speedster

Todd

Posted on: 2012/2/27 12:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I had thought that i read someone would have their car downstairs there last year, but it's been a hectic year and i couldn't find the thread. Packard info was well represented then, with a classy ride.

I didn't think the car was original or anything, but like you said, great build!

Posted on: 2012/2/27 15:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul E. Gallagher
See User information
There was a nice '37 115 Six in Maroon, a two door sedan.
A beautiful job on the wood graining inside. Also, a 41 Covertable in yellow with a really different hood ornament. He wasn't showing the engine. Those young people in the basement looked like they were having a really good time, more of a life-style with old cars, rather then a hobby.

Posted on: 2012/2/27 15:33
'49 Deluxe Eight - 23rd Series
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Given the car is a sixth series replica of the Jesse Vincent prototype, the motor configuration is correct.

The V block was introduced in the 7th series.

I wont pick over the little things that can be seen in the photo because it is, after all, a replica anyway.

Internally the 6th series Speedster had a more aggressive camshaft and a higher compression head for 130 horsepower versus 106 for the Custom Eight.

Also, the Speedsters I have worked on always seemed to go easier on rod bearings and I suspect that there was something deeper going on with the crankshaft in those motors.

Posted on: 2012/2/27 15:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Posted on: 2012/3/1 11:33
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved