Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 157

JWL, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: '41 super 8 stumbles on idle
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sounds like you have a Viton-tipped needle and they are problematic with 10% EtOH fuel so as you suggest, I'd replace it with a steel needle/brass seat (the most commonly found arrangement). Needle/seat sets are not usually sold individually, only as part of a rebuild kit. Best kits I know of are from Daytona Parts in FL.

3.5 psi fuel pressure sounds just fine, but why would you ever run the electric pump in tandem with the mechanical? In a mechanical pump the pressure is created by the spring that provides the upwards force onthe diaphragm - perhaps you should check your fuel pressure more thoroughly.

Someone more familiar with your carb should comment on setting the float level; sometimes you set it dry, inverted with a measured gap between two surfaces, and in other carbs you actually measure the fuel level. Best to re-read your instructions to be sure you got the right measurement.

Posted on: 2012/3/19 17:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Just a note- I recently had my carb (EE16) rebuilt by Daytona Parts and they didn't use a steel needle but rather a flat plunger tipped with some kind of plastic.

Posted on: 2012/3/19 18:33
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Dan:

To determine the vacuum leak question just disconnect and plug the manifold side of the pump. Leave it that way until you solve the problem.

I assume the full throttle acceleration is good. But ignition problems can be examined with a spark tester (available form NAPA). You should have at least 20Kv at idle. Connect the unit to ground and not to the spark plug.

Now if too much fuel is the problem then manually opening the choke when cold should make the car run better, but it should also be belching black smoke.

If your idle air bleeds are clogged then spray choke cleaner into the carburetor, race the motor and momentarily put your hand over the carburetor. The suction will help clear the bleeds.

You say your motor vacuum is good so I would also check out the electrical on the primary side of the ignition. The amored cable likes to short out, but this whould be revealed in a full throttle acceleration. Ditto a shorted breaker plate.

Finally, don't discount a fuel problem. Packards burn a lot of gas so it's possible you bought some bad gas.

Hope this helps

Posted on: 2012/3/19 19:23
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved