Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 229

flopperwatcher, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

R-9 overdrive cut in/out
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Alvin14
See User information
I usually drive with the overdrive engaged. On some tours, a steep hill is encountered requiring disengaging the OD.
I get multiple suggestions and cautions on how to engage/disengage the unit (car stopped/ car moving..clutch in/clutch out,etc.
What is the CORRECT way to engage/disengage an R-9 OD unit?
Much thanks for any/all replies.

Posted on: 2012/3/19 14:32
 Top  Print   

Re: R-9 overdrive cut in/out
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
EDIT - should have said first - this is how I've always done it with R-9.

1. Pull over to the side of the road, stop, and disengage the OD control.

2. If in OD at road speed, depress the accelerator enough to kick it back into 3rd and disengage the OD, but don't let up on the gas before you do it or it will want to go back into OD while you're trying to disengage. Do not disengage the clutch while doing so.

Posted on: 2012/3/19 14:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
I didn't check the earlier manuals, but the 1948 Owners Manual 1st Edition on this website says to depress the clutch and pull out the lever at any speed below 60 mph to lock out the O/D. This is for the R-9 as it mentions the indicator light on the dash which was not used for the later R-11.
Earlier manuals are also on the website if you want to check them for what Packard recommended.

Posted on: 2012/3/19 15:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Al - from the horse's mouth, the 1941 Owner's Manual. If you don't have one, perhaps you should buy a reprint.

Attach file:

jpg  (145.40 KB)
177_4f679b8f439b4.jpg 1008X1280 px

Posted on: 2012/3/19 15:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The manual is a little obtuse but what it says is:

a) there are two ways to disengage the overdrive

1) floorboard the accelerator (kickdown)

OR

2) pull the lock out handle (elsewhere it says to momentarily depress the clutch)

Method 2 will lock out the overrunning clutch and allow engine braking. I recall having just pulled the handle out (at low speeds) with no ill effects on units I overhauled

You really need to be able to function this way to avoid runaway brake fade.

Posted on: 2012/3/19 19:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I've never been successful in pulling out the knob while moving. I always get a terrible grinding noise, and I won't try anymore.
As Dave suggested, either push the accelerator all the way down when you need to get out of o.d., or stop and pull the knob out.

Posted on: 2012/3/22 10:09
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
I may not be the most mechanically inclined so real simple:
The last thing i want to do is ruin the trans.

1. To engage the overdrive, stop the car or do when the car is moving.
If stopped with the motor running or off, clutch depressed or not?

2. To disengage; Stop the car and disengage, with or with out the motor running and the clutch depressed or not?

What is the safest way to preserve our overdrive units.
Sorry for a simple question but your assistance is appreciated.
thanks
John Miller

Posted on: 2012/3/22 11:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
John, we've already covered how to disengage. If you do it while stopped at the roadside, no need to shut the motor off, no need to disengage the clutch, just be in neutral with the clutch engaged, or be in gear with the clutch disengaged and engage the knob.

To engage, sure you can pull off to the side of the road, in neutral with the clutch engaged, or in gear with the clutch disengaged - either way. Just engage the OD cable. Alternatively, while driving at road speed with your foot on the throttle, you can engage the OD with the cable and then just take your foot of the gas momentarily for it to energize.

Posted on: 2012/3/22 12:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Miller
See User information
Now i understand.
Sorry to be so simple.
But always asking the question first,avoids ruining a project.
Again thanks for the clartification
John

Posted on: 2012/3/22 12:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Well if the overdrive wont disengage without noise then I guess the only way to do it is when stopped, but the Packard manual explicitly states that overdrive can be disengaged while moving.

An it will. I know this because I have done units that were added to early cars in which you had to disengage the overdrive to slow the car down.

Years ago the late Doug Heinmuller was driving down a long hill in Maine when his brakes faded. In a situation like that the shift out of overdrive has to be made when moving.

Posted on: 2012/3/22 18:30
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved