Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 169

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Parts in bottom of trans pan
Home away from home
Home away from home

55 NC Clipper
See User information
Guys, I went to change the trans pan gasket and at the bottom of the pan there was a 1 1/2" spring and what looks like a push in end cap with a nipple in the center. Right now I am looking at the blown up schematics but they are a little hard to read. Does anyone know where these go right off the top of their head?

THanks

Posted on: 2012/3/20 7:11
 Top  Print   

Re: Parts in bottom of trans pan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
It's part of the valve body somewhere. But I would suspect you would notice something like that missing when driving. You can search for my YouTube videos on 55 packard twin ultramatic valve body build to find the one that looks like what you have and the video will show you where it goes maybe.

Hank

Posted on: 2012/3/20 7:51
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
also if that is the part that fell out, make sure you follow the correct proceedure for reinstalling it with that metal end plate. that small circular piece of metal spacer can get jambed between the metal end plate throwing things off. it has to fit perfect inside that hole when you put that end plate back on. although i didn't do the proceedure in the video. you have to use a gap gauge to hold the circular piece in the hole while you put the end plate on and then when the end plate is barely just tight you slide the gauge out and tighten the plate the rest of the way.

also if that spring and valve fell out, i would suspect the end plate and little screws are floating around somewhere too.

edit: there are other valves with nipples on them as well. the youtube videos i made are in 1080HD, so you should find what you are looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH99QObDEk0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXaDB_zWpBc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtM_PnLgnP0

Hank

Posted on: 2012/3/20 9:14
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55 NC Clipper
See User information
Thanks guys, the car is in a restoration process, I've driven it around the yard but that is it. I will take a look.

Posted on: 2012/3/20 10:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55 NC Clipper
See User information
Alright, I watched all three videos and the part was not in them, the spring looked like one of the smaller springs but the cap with the nipple wasn't there. The cap looks like a small version of a dust cap for the front hubs. Any other thoughts? I'll go back and look closely at the shift linkage and stuff.

Posted on: 2012/3/20 18:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Got it. Its a detent spring and cap from the manual valve. There are two of them that oppose each other at the forward end of the manual shift valve, the right hand block in figure 74, page 25 of the Ultra service manual. You can see them in schematic in the fluid diagrams.

They are pressurized so that the car becomes harder to move from gear to gear at the selector the faster you go. This is one of my least favorite features.

In any event, you will need to replace the spring and cap and stake it in Place. Otherwise you will have a major governor pressure leak and consequently no upshifts.

Posted on: 2012/3/20 19:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55 NC Clipper
See User information
Guys, thanks for being patient with me. The first and last pictures are where I think the spring and cap should go. Is this right? Should there be a ball too?

Thanks
Bill

Attach file:

jpg  (89.07 KB)
3510_4f7ce5715eb6c.jpg 960X1280 px

jpg  (84.66 KB)
3510_4f7ce5f9e1ef3.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (85.37 KB)
3510_4f7ce691acfa4.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2012/4/4 19:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Hard to tell on that picture but if there is space for the spring and cap to fit in then that is probably it. There is an identical setup on the opposite side. The "ball" is actually a plunger affair with a round end. Believe Hank had a picture of one on his blog that he might refer you to. Here is an intact assy showing the cover factory staked in place and the opposite side which someone repaired for probably the same reason you are..

Attach file:

jpg  (30.31 KB)
209_4f7cebf3f39e3.jpg 640X605 px

jpg  (22.33 KB)
209_4f7cebfcd917d.jpg 640X537 px

Posted on: 2012/4/4 19:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
here is the piece from my car. you can see the plungers with the little balls on the end of them. the spring pushes against those which locks them into the detents for each lever change on the steering column.

the little cap that is staked in holds the spring.

most likely...from your picture...you lost the other side...the side you are showing in your picture seems to still be okay. the little plunger with the ball on it may still be in the hole the spring and cap fell out of on the other side.

take the valvebody down and inspect.

Hank

Attach file:

jpg  (117.47 KB)
491_4f7ddfb894a93.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2012/4/5 13:08
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55 NC Clipper
See User information
Thanks, this probably explains why I can't seem to get it to go into gear smoothly and I have to jiggle and kinda slam to get it into any gear.

Bill

Posted on: 2012/4/6 7:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved