Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 136

Joe Santana, Ross, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

No Spark
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
Don't know where to look. New coil, wires, condenser, rotor, cap. Ignition switch at least gives power to the gauges.

But no spark.

Was running well then nothing.

Ideas?

Posted on: 2012/3/28 21:01
Carpe Diem!! Registry
 Top  Print   

Re: No Spark
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Accidental grounding in the distro? Bad coil?

Posted on: 2012/3/28 21:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Accidental grounding in the distro? Bad coil?

If you can remove the wire between coil and dist at distributor, ground to block and get a spark when ungrounding then check the distributor carefully.

The old fabric covered wires have a nasty habit of the cloth insulation deteriorating and then flaking off when disturbed. Several have had the same symptom after a point or condenser change.

I would look very carefully around any retaining clips for a bare wire. If the wires pass under the breaker plate check carefully there as well. The vacuum advance moving the plate can cause the wires to flex and touch.

If no spark when doing the test, then as Kev suggests, coil or possibly the wire between coil and ign switch or switch itself. One poster installed a "new" rebuilt ign switch which was faulty. The feed to the coil was bad but other terminals were good. If you have the coil connected to switch via armored cable, others have reported failures with that wire shorting inside to the armored conduit.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.41 KB)
209_4f73c97368214.jpg 500X313 px

Posted on: 2012/3/28 21:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
Coil throws a strong spark.

I blew out the dist with air.

It looked like condenser wire might be touching metal so reconnected further away.

I sporadically get a weak spark to a spark plug wire.

This dist has no internal wires (condenser on outside)and no vacuum advance. 1940 110

Posted on: 2012/3/28 22:43
Carpe Diem!! Registry
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved