Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
193 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 192

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Packard Durability test video
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
this is the video Mike Franko 'let the ride decide' loaned me. i video captured it and uploaded it to youtube. sorry audio sux, but it was like that on the tape too.

enjoy

Hank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxWsTlD_N0k

Posted on: 2012/3/28 21:19
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard Durability test video
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
The flying driver exchange, the chequered caps, ...
Hank, thanks for the best 9 minutes of the day!

Posted on: 2012/3/28 21:31
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Very nice. I rather liked the part where numerous people were standing next to the "pit" while the car came barreling in on a wet surface. Glad it was a straight stop. Talk about nerves of steel.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 22:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...sorry audio sux, but it was like that on the tape too...

--> Audacity is a free, easy-to-use and multilingual audio editor and recorder for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux and other operating systems.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2012/3/28 22:09
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I noted the absence of the normal patrician trim on the sides and also that it had four additional running lights.

Attach file:

jpg  (15.61 KB)
23_4f73d7b0b9813.jpg 540X381 px

Posted on: 2012/3/28 22:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wonder how much of that video was the actual run and how much staged. In addition to the different items you mention, the car drove off after the test dirty but no sign then or during the run of the pheasant modified grill, cracked windshield, missing wiper arm and extra hood hold down strap that was evident on photos posted in an earlier thread.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 22:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Randy,

Look at this thread (caravan 1955) see the comments on why there were additional lights on the car.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8846&forum=3

HH, as in the caravan 1955 thread, we're there more than one 25,000 mile cars?

Did the sight of a damaged car not go over well with the dealers, or public? Did Packard not tell the truth in the caravan promotion? Was the car in Valdosta updated to match what the dealers were selling?

Henry, did you enjoy the video?

Posted on: 2012/3/28 23:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Great video!!!

I have a tear sheet from a 1955 Life magazine which is a Champion Spark plug advert about that run. I show it all the car shows that I attend. I'll scan it and post it because I don't think many peeps have seen it.

Craig

Posted on: 2012/3/29 3:39
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Thanks very much for posting that,Henry! This is apparently a film to recruit/hold dealers, judging from comments at the end. For sure the whole thing was staged judging by the lack of filth and damage and hood straps. This car is probably the early prototype that appears in a couple of shots in the rotogravure sales catalog.

Especially enjoyed the staged shots with the various executives. This is also probably the only footage with the machine tools in motion.

While we can now comfortably armchair second guess every decision, this film gives a hint of the fantastic effort required for a small firm to launch a new engine. I'm still proud of 'em boys. Makes me want to hop in my V8 and go blow past some Escalatoraids on the Interstate. Again.

Posted on: 2012/3/29 5:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
credit where credit is due. Thanks to Mike for finding that video.

I knew when he gave it to me i had to get me a video capture device so i could upload it for all to see. i will link it in the caravan thread as well.

capture device was only like 8 bucks on ebay and worked a charm after i figured out all the settings. i'm going to play with that audacity that gusha recommended and see what i can come up with and if better repost to youtube.

i also have that ad, got it with a bunch of others i bought off ebay. pretty cool ads.

Mike, i did enjoy that video, especially the V8 block parts.

see you this weekend!

Hank

Posted on: 2012/3/29 8:47
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved