Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 219

Gary Kulp, Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

" Cipper "
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

rhlevine
See User information
I am a little confused about which models were considered a " clipper ". I just was given a 1952 Packard 3000 4 door sedan. Was it legitimate to call that particular model a " clipper "?

rhlevine

Posted on: 2012/4/28 16:22
 Top  Print   

Re: " Cipper "
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the car has the horizontal 2 bulb tail lights like your 300, it is considered senior. Clipper types all had vertical tail lights till 54 when they went to the single large roundish one at end of fender. Not sure without looking when the Clipper name became the norm or official - 53 I think - but the 200 and 250's were juniors & could be considered Clipper types.

Wheelbase is another difference. Clippers were all shorter 122" wheelbase, seniors 127". 51-3 convertibles & HTs get into a gray area as they were all shorter based vertical tail light but considered by many or factory equipped & optioned to be more like seniors. 54 is the screwed up year. The convertible and Pacific were short base but had every senior bell and whistle thrown at them including mechanicals & styling cues and even the horizontal tail lights grafted on so they could be considered a full senior.

Posted on: 2012/4/28 16:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The 300 (not 3000) is a hybrid, senior wheelbase but not the senior mechanicals. In 1954 and perhaps in 1953 it was called both the 300 and the Cavalier, perhaps in 1952 as well. Without checking some original factory literature, I don't believe it was ever officially a "Clipper", but why not check some of the factory literature in that section of the website - the definitive answer may well be there.

Posted on: 2012/4/28 17:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

phsnkw
See User information
The "clipper" was first a 1940's styling that packard adopted across the line after WWII.

If you know that the car given to you is a '52 four door, then your car is a 200, 300, or 400. The 200 is the smaller wheelbase and has a noticable smaller rear window. The 300 and 400 are the same wheelbase and body with a large three piece rear windows. The difference in the two are interior and exterior trim. What's standard in the 400 (Ultramatic, power brakes, more expensive uphostery, chrome trim, etc) would be optional and what previous owners would have added later.

The smaller 200 series was renamed Clipper in 1953 and for 1954.

If your is a '52 300 then you should see a three piece rear window and a lone chrome strip across the rear fender bulge about halfway as well as a two piece horizontal taillight treatment. Your car should have the 327 engine with 5 main bearings.

Good luck on your present!

Posted on: 2012/4/28 21:08
"Do you ever think about the things you do think about?"

Inherit the Wind
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved