Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 153

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Passenger Side Mirror
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

rhlevine
See User information
One of the most useless things I have encountered is the passenger side mirror mounted on my " new " 1952 Packard 300 4-door sedan. I can't even see it from the passenger seat so it is useless for me as a safety feature. Is it possible that the placement of this small mirror was for the passenger's convenience? What, if anything, would you do about it?

rhlevine

Posted on: 2012/5/1 18:06
 Top  Print   

Re: Passenger Side Mirror
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Dual outside mirrors were an option then -- even just a drivers mirror was optional. Should be the same mirror on each side. If it's the proper Packard mirror and mounted in the correct spot on the belt molding, and still not functional then not much you can do except keep it as a desirable ornament. Removing or relocating it will leave a couple of holes and require a new piece of stainless.

Several have looked on and off for the proper mirror in decent condition. If you decided to eliminate or change it because it's too non functional and it's in decent shape, as long as you find a piece of stainless molding there should be no problem selling it.

Posted on: 2012/5/1 18:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
RH:
I have exactly the same problem on my '47 Clipper. The only thing I can figure is that some prior owner was really tall (I'm not) and installed it so that it would work with the seat all the way back, or, the mirror was just carelessly installed, but for whatever reason it is mounted in the wrong place and needs to be moved along the belt moulding.
I have become accustomed to the safety factor of dual mirrors and will keep my eye open for a replacement belt moulding but they seem to be hard to come by, and/or are pretty spendy.
I am leaving mine alone for the time being, but it is bothersome to have it non-functional.

Posted on: 2012/5/1 21:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
I think it might be useful if someone could come up with a convex right side RVM. It could even have the warning on it, "MODERN AUTOMOBILES IN THIS MIRROR MAY BE FASTER AND CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR."

Posted on: 2012/5/1 22:07
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
... I can't even see it from the passenger seat so it is useless for me as a safety feature. Is it possible that the placement of this small mirror was for the passenger's convenience?...

Correct placement? Correct mirror? Correct seat?
Rhlevine, I went through the Packard Owner's Registry to take a look at your setting but unfortunately no car and no picture.

The pics below show the correct mirror according to the 1952 (25th Series) Packard owners manual and the correct installation according to the service manual.

Attach file:

jpg  (15.70 KB)
757_4fa126d74a63a.jpg 550X173 px

jpg  (23.96 KB)
757_4fa1270772a80.jpg 537X522 px

Posted on: 2012/5/2 7:22
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...If it's the proper Packard mirror and mounted in the correct spot on the belt molding, and still not functional then not much you can do except keep it as a desirable ornament. Removing or relocating it will leave a couple of holes and require a new piece of stainless...

Howard, the owners manual offers an additional rear mirror as probably last way out.

Attach file:

jpg  (16.29 KB)
757_4fa128a789448.jpg 261X310 px

Posted on: 2012/5/2 7:29
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Downside to the spotlight-mirror is once installed you had darn sure better like it. Your car is now equipped with some very large holes and ruined upholstery to deal with if you don't. Here is one with a different mirror arrangement.

Attach file:

jpg  (17.36 KB)
209_4fa15adae57df.jpg 640X266 px

Posted on: 2012/5/2 10:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved