Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
260 user(s) are online (167 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 259

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fuel gauge resistance readings
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Does anybody know the fuel gauge sender ohm readings for an empty tank and a full tank? I know modern GM products are 90 and 0. My gas gauge bounces twixt F and E while driving and sits at F when parked (key on).

Posted on: 2008/4/23 11:54
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel gauge resistance readings
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Sounds like a loose or bad wire between the sender and the gauge, or a bad ground or loose ground on the sender.

Posted on: 2008/4/23 16:17
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Any idea what brand instruments in 38? Only for sure info I have is for King-Seely type 51-6 and that is about 10 ohms full and 70-75 empty using a regular resistance type sender. Kevs suggestion of wire is very valid as a short on the 51-6 type would cause a full reading but it would be a fairly smooth but slower movement, not what I would call a bounce. The type that uses a magnetic movement (GM, I think is one) is very fast.

There are several different type senders though for different brand gauges and all different--some use resistance, others have a bimetal heater that is just an on-off. The duration of the on period (and how much the gauge moves) depends on how much deflection the float causes to tank element.

Posted on: 2008/4/24 19:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
The gauges are SW and the gas gauge is a resistance type. I did try redoing the wiring and now it read 1/2 full. At least that seems about the right reading , I'll find out if it works on my next drive. If the tank is really half full it means that I'm getting about 6 MPG OUCH.

Posted on: 2008/4/24 19:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The SW is magnetic so fast movement, don't have a specific ohm range to share at moment, but to test, grounding tank wire should indicate full and not connected should read empty. If you had a loose or bad wire that would certainly cause the bounce.

Posted on: 2008/4/24 19:58
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Beltfed
See User information
I own a 1939 Packard 110 Coupe. I had all the instruments renewed, repainted, and calibrated by John Wolf & Co. last year. The fuel gauge is indeed SW with a range of around 75 ohms empty and zero to 5 ohms full. My problem is now the tank sender. Does anyone know of a source for a NOS or new sending unit with the above values? Thanks

Posted on: 2008/5/15 14:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Only options I know of for those values is either OEM from a vendor, the 57 Ford unit (which I don't know if it would or could be made to fit your mounting arrangement easily) IF still available to be ordered from a local ford store or the JC Whitney universal retrofit as detailed in the Tech tips section on the website.

Posted on: 2008/5/15 15:58
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved