Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

engine is out... now what do I do?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
The motor is out and on a stand. Don't want to waste this opportunity before putting it back in the frame. So what should a person do while the motor is easily accessable?

Pull the oil pan?

I kind of want to pull the intake and have it cleaned. There appeared to be some rusty junk in the runners when I took the carb off.

Check out the pictures of the brazing around the drain plug. This appears to be a repair. Also is the skid plate on the oil pan standard, or something added to cover a repair.

The motor mounts are also in need of replacement. I'm considering fabricating my own.

Someone poorly painted the motor black over the top of the original red/orange paint. I'm assuming the orange is original?

If I pull the exhaust manifolds off, will I get them back on? I've had problems with cast Chevolet manifolds not fitting back on the motor because they've shrunk from all the heat cycles.

Attach file:

jpg  (157.54 KB)
550_4fb680f67e303.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (103.20 KB)
550_4fb6810cdb6d4.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (91.09 KB)
550_4fb6811dd8e7a.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (99.85 KB)
550_4fb6812868769.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (115.04 KB)
550_4fb68133740bd.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2012/5/18 12:05
 Top  Print   

Re: engine is out... now what do I do?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Now would be a good time to replace the freeze plugs.

Posted on: 2012/5/18 12:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
Very good call! I already found 1 leaking. Thanks

Posted on: 2012/5/18 12:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
What is your serial number? The red paint was commonly used on the '56 Studebaker Golden Hawk engines.

Yes, the pan has been repaired and no, the skid pan is a never-before-seen addition.

No, this isn't a Chevy - there is usually no problem with reinstalling the Packard exhaust manifolds. Did you break any studs when you removed the down pipes? The studs usually need replacing and that's a pain.

Yes, replace the core plugs.

Yes, pull the pan and the front timing cover. Verify your engine has the late cam retainer plate and spacer. Also verify which oil pump you have.

As far as what else to do, you're on a steep slippery slope.

1. New valve stem seals.
2. Pull the center main cap and check for signs of copper showing through on the bearing.

jack vines

Posted on: 2012/5/18 12:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Based on the oil pan, that engine has had lots of experiences; wonder what it would say if it could tell us?

For starters, drop the oil pan. Clean the oil pump intake screen. Pull at least a couple of main and rod bearing caps and check the bearing condition and clearances, and the crank journal condition (visual check). Pull the timing chain cover and check the condition of the timing chain and gears, replace the front seal. Sure, replacing the core plugs is a good idea.

If you haven't already done it, take a set of compression reading; first time dry, second time around after a couple of squirts of motor oil in each cylinder.

Remove both water jacket drain plugs and force-flush the cooking system.

Replace the water pump and fuel pump with rebuilt units.

Remove the valve covers and after a visual inspection, use a small and long cleaning rod and brush (such as one woulduse for a 22-caliber rifle) and clean both oil return drains from heads (at the rear) back down to the pan.

New motor mounts are available from Kanters, exact duplicate of originals and not expensive.

Posted on: 2012/5/18 12:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Something to think about.

The lower half of the flywheel cover. Does it have a small hole in it?

The 56's had a window and a cover plate. It makes draining the torque converter easier. Maybe worthwhile change.

The bottom cover on my 55 Patrician, was drilled out (I assume) enough to let you get a socket in there to drain the converter. I did not know it until I saw other 55's.

Posted on: 2012/5/18 13:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
Quote:

Jack Vines wrote:
What is your serial number? The red paint was commonly used on the '56 Studebaker Golden Hawk engines.

Yes, the pan has been repaired and no, the skid pan is a never-before-seen addition.

No, this isn't a Chevy - there is usually no problem with reinstalling the Packard exhaust manifolds. Did you break any studs when you removed the down pipes? The studs usually need replacing and that's a pain.

Yes, replace the core plugs.

Yes, pull the pan and the front timing cover. Verify your engine has the late cam retainer plate and spacer. Also verify which oil pump you have.

As far as what else to do, you're on a steep slippery slope.

1. New valve stem seals.
2. Pull the center main cap and check for signs of copper showing through on the bearing.

jack vines

Engine block serial number 5522-6693 (same as the vin tag on the car)

All the exhaust manifold studs came out clean thank goodness. I'll probably take the manifolds off to clean them up in the blaster knowing re-installation won't be an issue.

Thanks Jack, I'll be posting my findings once I dive in.

Posted on: 2012/5/18 13:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Based on the oil pan, that engine has had lots of experiences; wonder what it would say if it could tell us?

For starters, drop the oil pan. Clean the oil pump intake screen. Pull at least a couple of main and rod bearing caps and check the bearing condition and clearances, and the crank journal condition (visual check). Pull the timing chain cover and check the condition of the timing chain and gears, replace the front seal. Sure, replacing the core plugs is a good idea.

If you haven't already done it, take a set of compression reading; first time dry, second time around after a couple of squirts of motor oil in each cylinder.

Remove both water jacket drain plugs and force-flush the cooking system.

Replace the water pump and fuel pump with rebuilt units.

Remove the valve covers and after a visual inspection, use a small and long cleaning rod and brush (such as one woulduse for a 22-caliber rifle) and clean both oil return drains from heads (at the rear) back down to the pan.

New motor mounts are available from Kanters, exact duplicate of originals and not expensive.

Thanks Owen! It's all on the list now.

Posted on: 2012/5/18 13:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Keegan Chaput
See User information
Quote:

Let the ride decide wrote:
Something to think about.

The lower half of the flywheel cover. Does it have a small hole in it?

The 56's had a window and a cover plate. It makes draining the torque converter easier. Maybe worthwhile change.

The bottom cover on my 55 Patrician, was drilled out (I assume) enough to let you get a socket in there to drain the converter. I did not know it until I saw other 55's.

Here's my flywheel cover.

Attach file:

jpg  (65.22 KB)
550_4fb69a4be6825.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/5/18 13:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
You got me beat, by 2! Mine was drilled where the small hole is.

I have never seen any bulletin to do it, so just must have made sense to the Packard mechanics.

Posted on: 2012/5/18 13:56
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved