Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 208

29- 640 Club Sedan, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Where to get car covers? (not a value question :)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Where can I get a couple of good car covers that will fit or at least completely cover the wide variety of antique cars that are out there? Does anyone make Packard car covers or at least generic covers that would work for all Packards or other cars for that matter? I'd like some that have holes around the bottom where they could be tied or bungee corded when the car is being hauled on a trailer. Which obviously there would need to be many holes so the wind couldn't get under it. I've googled this and got tons of links--I figured you guys might know much better & quicker

Thanks!

Posted on: 2012/5/18 18:06
 Top  Print   

Re: Where to get car covers? (not a value question :)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
I'd be very careful about transporting any automobile on an open trailer with a car cover given what damage the cover will cause to the paint due to wind turbulence. A closed trailer on the other hand, shouldn't be a problem and would be a good idea if the transporter stows cars above yours.

I purchased my car cover from California Car covers (on the web) and have been very happy with it. Superior material and quality for a fair price in my opinion.

Attach file:

jpg  (276.51 KB)
20_4fb6f484c8eaa.jpg 1920X1275 px

Posted on: 2012/5/18 20:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Ditto on Kevin's advice. I live in a windy area and can attest to the damage done by any loose rope or fabric. I bought a cover for use indoors from Dwight Heinmuller and like it. The covers are sized for Packards and are good quality.
Best of Luck,
Mark

Posted on: 2012/5/18 22:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
I did get to research some more last night and it appears that using a car cover while the car is in transport on an open trailer is a "bad" idea. I did find this company that sells shrink-wrap for shipping almost anything--don't know how hard or easy it would be to use this stuff?

http://www.mobileshrinkwrapper.com

Posted on: 2012/5/19 6:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Good advice above from everyone. If a cover is insisted upon for any reason then make sure to cover any open areas of the trailer that is directly under the car. Ramp type trailers use a piece of plywood or other material to cover the empty area. The material needs to be secured to the trailer of course.

PRobably an air dam across front of car, tween bumper and trailer floor to keep air from passing under the car. Never tried the air dam myself.

Posted on: 2012/5/19 8:32
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My car covers are for indoor use only, semi-custom fit, made by Auto-Chic in Dover NJ. Excellent quality at a good price, highly recommended. For my 34 I did not have to provide any measurements, they had them both with and without trunk rack and trunk, sidemounts, etc. Several options but I chose inner flannel with a cotton twill outer.

http://www.autochic.com/

Posted on: 2012/5/19 8:55
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Schmick
See User information
I was in need of a replacement cover for my 50 Super for the longest time, so when I saw O_D's note about Auto-Chic, I decided to give them a try. Like O_D, I ordered a very nice indoor cover less expensive than a similar version from California Car Cover. A truly custom fit...the seams follow the contours of the vehicle precisely. It took them about 3 weeks to manufacture/ship, and it arrived today. I'm very pleased with it.

Posted on: 2012/6/12 20:17
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved