Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 233

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Best Modern Radial Tire Size for a 1941 Clipper
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andy 41 Clipper
See User information
Su8 thanks for the info! Does anyone know where to get the black wall Yokohama black walls other than dimondbacks? I am not conserned if the have letter but after all the advice I think it is best to try to find the right size blackwalls. I called my local dealer and they said they can't get them.

Posted on: 2012/5/21 11:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
tried Discoount Tire or Tire Rack? - both have websites easy to check

Posted on: 2012/5/21 13:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Yokohama 7.00 X 15 is actually the Diamondback - "Pre 1948 Luxury
http://www.dbtires.com/2012_catalog/2012catalog_Hi.pdf Look at bottom of page 20

This is a Yokohama tire that Diamondback uses. If you opt for blackwalls the catalogue price says $194, but when I double-checked the guy on the phone he said $189.

I mounted them on my 1941 Business Coupe and while I have not driven it yet I would tell you they do not look like a radial, but rather a have a "bias ply" look about them.

As Su8 asked, why use a metric size when a bias size is available?

As for the Bridgestone R230 7R15LT Tire Central and Service has it.
http://tirecentralandservice.com/r230-tires-indianapolis-in

When I called for a price quote they said they would have to get back with me. That was a half hour ago. Maybe they are busy now.

Posted on: 2012/5/21 13:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Glad to help, gentlemen. I confess to wanting to keep my Bridgestone (or Yokohama) secret, so people might admire my car's increasingly rare original look and stance while i enjoy the benefits of radials.
But it occurred that the more of us who purchase such tires, the more likely Bridgestone and Yokohama won't join Michelin in dropping these 7.00 x 15 and 7.50 x 16 radials.
Some of us plan on enjoying our cars for centuries to come, and should like these sources to stay with us.

That, and i'd love to hear y'all report on various air pressure experiments, having that turn of mind. I've gone up and down from 39 to 44 psi cold,
and am curious what you prefer. I'm chiefly interested in tire life, fuel economy, improved handling, but these are still luxury road cars.

BTW, a wee irony for those who enjoy such. I bought Bridgestone merely as a retired aircraft mechanic/Cordite/machinist friend raved about a set on his old Honda daily car, and i like the Yank/English-sounding name on an auld US car. But Bridgestone is now a Japanese company, while Yokohama Canadian. Their specs are identical in every way that i could see.

Should you go with Yokohama, the black Yokohama lettering is small, and only some nerd who gets down on hands and knees and presses his nose against the tire will ever see it. But, for such a dullard's tender sensibilities, you could always use a die grinder to carefully remove the Rising Sun name from your '40s US automobile. This is, after all, what Diamond Back does before slapping on the ever popular wide whitewalls for our upper echelon GMobile driving friends, who need all the tacky bling they can muster, to distract from their coarse-threaded, bushing where we enjoy ball or roller bearing, babbitt where we have modern inserts, three speeds where we have yet another, truncated rear frames, weak center frames, cheap rear coil springs where we have semi-eliptics and a fifth rear shock absorber to control lateral sidesway,

well, you get the idea.

Mighty fine.

Posted on: 2012/5/21 15:21
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andy 41 Clipper
See User information
I just want to say everyone on this site is so helpful and I appreciate that so much since I am brand new to packards. I appreciate you expertise and insite on the questions I have asked thus far and the many many more I know I am going to have going forward in my restoration! :)

Posted on: 2012/5/21 15:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
the issue to me is the size, n0t whether it's expressed metric or English units. IF the nominal sizes are accurate, 7.0 is a lot skinnier tire than 230.

7 inches = 178 mm

Posted on: 2012/5/21 16:02
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andy 41 Clipper
See User information
Anyone have an opinion on these? would they work ok?

710-15 Goodyear Super Cushion Blackwall

Tire Size (ie 205/75R15 ) 710-15
Wheel Diameter (ie 15") 15"
Sidewall Type Blackwall
Tread Depth 11
Tube Type Tubeless

I know they are not radials but I am not concerned with that at this point. Once the car is restored i am going to get a set of radial tires from diamondback. At this point I am just looking to get something cheep(these are used for $35 a tire) to just roll it in and out of my garage and an occasional few block cruise once I get it running.

Thanks!

Attach file:

jpg  (28.21 KB)
4600_4fbce1f2d3018.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/5/23 8:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
7.10 x 15 is a size that came along in the 50s for smaller cars; Plymouths and the like used 6.70x15 and the 7.10s were the next size up, probably Pontiac, Dodge and the like. Smaller and lighter cars than your 41 Clipper. That said, when I was young and poor, I put a set of no-name 7.10 x 15s on my 1941 120 and drove many thousands of satisfactory miles with them. They were tubeless and I mounted them w/o tubes. But they were fresh new tires; the one you picture appears to be out of the age of Aristotle. But if all you want to do is roll in and out of the garage and around the corner and the tires are reasonably fresh, they may fill your need.

Posted on: 2012/5/23 10:23
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Andy 41 Clipper
See User information
Owen you hit the nail on the head with young and poor it is tough to convince the wife to spend $800-$1,000 on tires when the car dosent even run! Lol

Posted on: 2012/5/23 10:31
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved