Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
240 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 239

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Packard accessories Series Fourteen
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Howard, if you refect for a moment on the traditional views of the social status of a chauffeur in that era by those who bought exclusive cars, it would be a rare event to have a radio in the front compartment just for his pleasure. Very often he didn't even get a seat that adjusted (you hired a chauffeur to fit the car, not visa versa?) and in town cars was considered lucky if he had a weathertight roof over his head.

Posted on: 2012/5/21 13:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Dave, You're undoubtedly right about the lack of amenities a chauffeur would do without. In that era, am sure most chauffeurs were just glad to have a job even if they did get rained on and have to be content to only listen to traffic.

The entire radio page of that brochure could be construed different ways. They announce a new custom radio at the top, and by virtue of the blue separating lines seem to tie things together by also announcing a new remote to operate a radio for convenience of back seat passengers & then show dash controls below that. Just don't bother to say there is an entire other radio.

Posted on: 2012/5/21 13:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Alvin14
See User information
Re:O-D's reply,
I am fortunate to own a Derham bodied one off formal sedan. Divider window etc. The radio controls are in the arm rest in the rear compartment.
The front compartment has no radio controls. Other than a cigar lighter, the chauffuer had NOTHING. The front seat is not movable and I understand the coachmaker measured the chauffuer to know where to place the front seat.
O-D is correct.

Posted on: 2012/5/21 17:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That brochure Randy posted just says 14th series. No mention if the radio with remote is only in a limo -- to my reading the wording would indicate the remote could also be had in a regular car and was an option for the single radio. Simpler times for sure. If the description were published today, IMHO some lawyer or govt agency would be all over it.

Posted on: 2012/5/21 17:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...and in town cars was considered lucky if he had a weathertight roof over his head...

Probably wrong but up to now I "understand" town cars * this way:

1) historical aspect
A way to show a seriously conservative design by the help of a reminiscence to past days of carriages.

2) social aspect
A way to expressly underline social differences between master and servant.

* (edit) with roofless driver compartment

Posted on: 2012/5/21 18:30
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just curious if anyone knows what the radios P-1530 and P-1535 have different so they are called a two unit receiver? Others are just called a receiver or no description other than P-xxxx number.

The schematics just appear to be a regular 7 tube unit. No info other than typical adjustment stuff is given.

Attach file:

jpg  (9.91 KB)
209_4fbd0a57489c8.jpg 768X81 px

Posted on: 2012/5/23 11:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think that mean the the control panel section and tube-box section are two separate housings. With the control panel mounted in/under the dash, and the tube box more remote.

Posted on: 2012/5/23 11:30
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It could be and that was my first thought as well except others with similar two piece construction don't designate differently -- just P-xxxx.

Seems odd that the two unit and the P-1430 (which surprisingly is the same as one called a DP and DPV police radio) were ones named differently.

Speaking of police radios, did Packard have a specific police car then to offer a police radio or was it just a radio used by others? I do see Studebaker, Lincoln and a couple of other cars used the same radio box with a different head.

Posted on: 2012/5/23 11:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved