Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
234 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 234

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

help with 53 cavilier!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

garrett
See User information
hey so i recently finished rebuilding my rear end in my 300. it has had the carb rebuilt fluids flushed new tires it was ready to go so i thought... i went to take her on its maiden trip out of my driveway and as soon as it went fron nutural to high it died.. i started it up again tried low dead.. reverse dead.. it will stay running if i work the gas alittle but eventually dies like its starving for fuel almost?.. any help you guys can offer?? i did a vaccume test aswell with starer fluid
thanks allot
-Garrett

Posted on: 2012/5/31 19:40
I need a hand in life.
 Top  Print   

Re: help with 53 cavilier!
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

garrett
See User information
this is driving me crazy!!

Posted on: 2012/5/31 20:03
I need a hand in life.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Some recent detail history of maintenance of the fuel and ignition systems would be helpful to diagnosing what might be happening. Pretty hard to speculate with so little information.

Posted on: 2012/5/31 20:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Didn't mention the car's history and how long since it was driven. If you can rule out ignition and a bad carb rebuild, several have had issues with clogged fuel filters, debris floating in tank which gets sucked into a position to block gas flow and deteriorated rubber in the hoses and fuel pump caused by modern gas.

Posted on: 2012/5/31 20:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

garrett
See User information
i just noticed if i keep nursing the throttle i can get it to shift and run in gear. it will idle in high after a few shots of fuel, it will idle in low for less time but still dies in reverse almost instantly unless the throttle is fullo open haha. theres new plugs n wires, the cap needs to be replaced but looks alright the points could use changinh but not urgent.. the cars history to me is unknown for the most part.
sorry for rambling and thanks again

Posted on: 2012/5/31 20:33
I need a hand in life.
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

garrett
See User information
would clogged fuel be a factor when it idles and revs fine in park?

Posted on: 2012/5/31 20:34
I need a hand in life.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you can rev the engine to a decent and sustained speed without it dying, probably not. If it dies or starts to stumble like it's running out of gas when you run it fast for a bit of time then possibly. If the carb is not adjusted well or the idle is too slow, that could cause issues when a load is put on the engine.

Posted on: 2012/5/31 20:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

garrett
See User information
its not fuel i domt think maybe vaccume? how would i test otherwise? is there a carb ajustment i should check?

Posted on: 2012/5/31 20:49
I need a hand in life.
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
To me, if it only dies when you put the car in a gear. Then there is an issue with the transmission. Perhaps the lockup clutch is stuck engaged or something similar.

Posted on: 2012/5/31 20:51
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

garrett
See User information
i see where information might help... it has an aftermarket electric fuel pump and i donmt think all the vaccume lines were put back correctly.. im not sure im trying to find a reference

Posted on: 2012/5/31 21:10
I need a hand in life.
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved