Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 102

Todd W. White, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

P235/75R-15 Radials on 56 Seniors
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
I put a set of michelin radials on my 56 Caribbean and they look great. Problem I am having is the tires touch the frame and front sway bar before hitting the full turn dead stops. Anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks,
Robert.

Posted on: 2008/5/2 13:53
 Top  Print   

Re: P235/75R-15 Radials on 56 Seniors
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Actual dimensions for same marked size tires from different manufacturers can vary a bit, perhaps more than most of us realize. I don't have that problem on my Caribbean with the current GoodYear 235/75 R15, and didn't with the prior bias ply 8:00 x 15, but the earlier 8:20 x 15 bias ply tires did rub at both ends of the travel. 8:00 x 15 was the OEM size, and apparently 8:20 was an option though I'm not certain of this.

Posted on: 2008/5/2 14:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Robert -

I put 235/75R15 General's on my Carib Hardtop and don't recall any problems with front tire clearance. I just had to let a lot of air out of one of the rear tires so I could get it to slip in between the wheel opening and the brake drum.

In your case, you might wanna wait and check this again when you have closer to a full load on the front-end and the geometry of the suspsension is at normal riding height.

Posted on: 2008/5/2 15:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
Owen and Brian thanks for your replies.

I really want to run radials on this car so I think I will wait as suggested to see if the full load over the suspension helps with the geometry.

Regards,
Robert.

Posted on: 2008/5/2 17:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
235-75 R15's (El Cheapo brands) rub my 56 Executive the same way but only at FULL LOCK. ALSo rub the rear INSIDE fender wells ever so slightly. I've never heard them rub but can see slight evidence. The only time it presented a problem was one time at very low speed i had a rear go flat real fast and it made a grinding sound with NO damages.

It does not bother me since after more than 20k miles ther ehas been No problems. I live in rural middle Tn. where the terrain and driveways and soforth are pretty rough compared to most other parts of the civilized world.

Go ahead and run the 235's. They should be ok despite the minor rubbing issue. It only happens on mine at very low speed of say 5 to 10 mph or under excessive very low speed off-camber terrain conditions.

I've had no problems under high speed paved crooked road or Interstate operations.

I've experienced thsimilar SLIGHT rubbing among many other cars and lite trucks i've owned over the years because i tend to buy the chaepest damned tires i can find but one size larger. It has never presented any problems whatsoever other than the teltale rubbing marks. So what ??

Posted on: 2008/5/2 19:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
PERHAPS (and that's a BIG perhaps) the el-cheapo brands run smaller than the premium grade tires of the same size. If u are running the premium grade tire then it mite be as much as a 1/2 inch larger causing the problem before lock.

However, i have seen a few el-cheapos that were 1/4 larger than a corresponding GT. But not often.

The premium priced tires are generaly best avoided under nearly all service demands. They're strictly a gimmick.

Posted on: 2008/5/2 19:58
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Harrison
See User information
Hi, I am running 235/75R-15 Dayton radials on my 55 400, they are 3'' white walls. They look great (see owners registry) and don't seem to catch at all. Only drawback was they were expensive on this side of the pond being imported but were the only ones I could find in that size with the wide white wall I wanted.
Regards,
PackarddaveUK.

Posted on: 2008/5/7 6:09
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved