Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1941 Packard 120 side grills
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

robtroxel
See User information
I'm getting ready to replace one of the side grills with new chrome. What is the best way to remove a 41 Packard 120 side grill?
Thanks for any help offered.

Regards,

Rob Troxel

Posted on: 2012/6/15 12:27
Rob Troxel
1941 Packard 110 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 Packard 120 side grills
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

robtroxel
See User information
I went ahead and did the side grill replacement on my 1941 120/110.

You can get at the side grill retaining bolts by removing the lower filler pan that extends from the radiator to the front of the car. Once that is removed it is a clear shot to either side grill. The upper grill bolts are a stretch but it can be done. Total time to do one side was 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Posted on: 2012/6/21 19:11
Rob Troxel
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I wonder what the flat-rate book says for time. For me, it always seems to take at least 2 or 3 times longer. An old-time professional mechanic once said, after switching dealerships, that he could never make money repairing Packards. In other words, the flat-rate book was too conservative.

Posted on: 2012/6/22 5:46
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

robtroxel
See User information
Glad to hear there are others who work like me>>Slow! One thing that was going thru my mind was just how many bolts hold in the side grill and the lower cover. There must be 8 or 9 bolts just for the side grill alone and about as many for the lower splash cover. Very impressive

Posted on: 2012/6/22 7:31
Rob Troxel
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I think there are only four screws/bolts that hold my side grille's on (1940). But, as you found out, one first has to remove the front valance pan, first.

It's not so much that you're working slowly. With a Packard, it's almost mandatory. You seem to ALWAYS have to remove at least one other item, usually many more.

Posted on: 2012/6/22 8:48
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
I wonder what the flat-rate book says for time. For me, it always seems to take at least 2 or 3 times longer.

If you wanna check, I did provide the site with a 1941 - 1953 Flat Rate Manual. Not within reach of my fingertips right now, so I can't tell you how much detail is provided for the older years, but suspect it might only cover those areas in common with subsequent years - that is, mechanicals.

Quote:
An old-time professional mechanic once said, after switching dealerships, that he could never make money repairing Packards. In other words, the flat-rate book was too conservative.

I've heard similar statement from techs bitching about other brands.

The factory times come from actual time studies that were predicated on the operator having been fully trained, the problem already (and completely and correctly) diagnosed, and with all necessary tools and parts at hand - like a surgeon prepared to perform an operation. Since they're provided by the factory primarily for the purpose of reimbursing dealers for repairs under warranty, you can't expect those times to be anything but conservative.

Then, the joke around the industry used to be that third-party publishers of flat rate books just took the factory times and bumped them by a percentage. Whoever had the highest times sold the most books.

Decades later, they're only a guide for us - a starting point. Better than nothing.

The restorer should be prepared to add even more time - not only for the learning curve, but rusted fasteners, previous substandard repairs, etc., etc., etc.

Posted on: 2012/6/22 9:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
That's funny about the third-party publishers. Never heard that before, but it sure sounds logical.

Posted on: 2012/6/22 9:46
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I work at two different speeds depending if I have a cruise to go to in an hour or the next day.
The two speeds are Slow and Stop.

Posted on: 2012/6/22 13:11
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Randy, sometimes I even have a reverse speed.

Posted on: 2012/6/24 11:58
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

robtroxel
See User information
Now that I have successfully changed out my right side grill with a replated unit, I have a driver quality right side grill for sale. Usual pitting but still very presentable.

robtroxel@gmail.com

Posted on: 2012/6/28 7:28
Rob Troxel
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved