Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
253 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 248

classiclincoln, BigKev, John Sauser, Tom (Packin31), humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ultramatric shifter issue?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
My 56 has a normal ultramatic, which was recently drained and refilled. Clunks on occasion when shifting, so I tend to be gentle with it.

I have been running it with the arrow on H, for no good reason that I can remember. lately, when I put in H nothing happens, but if I go one click to the right it works fine.

The trans fluid level is full--no more, no less.

Anything you can suggest, particularly with pictures, would be gratefully received....

Posted on: 2012/6/18 21:43
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Ultramatric shifter issue?
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Perhaps the shifter linkage needs to be adjusted.

Posted on: 2012/6/18 21:45
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Perhaps the shifter linkage needs to be adjusted.

That's what I am wondering -- also, does the pointer line up on all the letters consistently or does there seem to be some guessing needed. Pointers have been known to loosen and have a mind of their own.

Another question. When you move the lever and feel a detent say at N then move to the next detent which would be H and then next to D, there should be minimal lever movement at each place before feeling a detent. If after getting to D and then reverse direction and go back to H, is the lever movement very close to the same or is there excessive play or motion of the lever before the H detent is felt.

The setscrew holding the lever which moves the valve has been known to work loose on the shaft inside the trans. That would be evidenced by slop and a fair amount of motion when reversing direction on the lever from one detent to the next.

If that is OK, then the difference is in the trans. H starts in high range using the clutch plates and D starts in low using the band. When using D and starting from a stop, is the shift to high then direct drive engagement taking place normally.

Posted on: 2012/6/18 22:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
in low using the band. When using D and starting from a stop, is the shift to high then direct drive engagement taking place normally.

Yes, seems to be. Goes into reverse fine, as well. i'll try to get a better look see in a couple of days. It was 97 degrees yesterday, which around here is considered warm.....

As a side note, the guy who is installing the a/c called to cancel the appointment on the grounds that it was too hot....

Posted on: 2012/6/19 0:21
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved