Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 219

Guscha, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

'56 Patrician Diff Pinion Seal
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
G'day Men, I'm in need of some technical info if available. My diff pinion seal has started leaking oil and I would like to replace it. I have checked the X-Ref and it shows two options (Felpro & National), but neither of those two part numbers come up on the computer of the bearing and seal retailer I contacted over here. However, he said if I have the external and internal dimensions etc, there is a good chance it can be matched with something else. I could remove the seal and measure it up but I would rather not take it out until I have a replacement to go straight back in. Does anyone have these dimensions? If not I guess I'll have to buy one from someone like Max Merritt, which would be OK, but it will take a couple of weeks or longer to get here. Regards, John

Posted on: 2012/6/19 1:35
 Top  Print   

Re: '56 Patrician Diff Pinion Seal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Don't have the dimensions as I sit here with my breakfast coffee, but try these crosses: Victor 49161, Chicago Rawhide (CR) 15788, Trostel 14223, Dana 49161.

Your axle is a Dana model 60 and it seems the same pinion seal was used across many Dana axles as this is the same pinion seal I've installed in late model Studes and even Jeeps.

Posted on: 2012/6/19 5:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
JP, somewhere I have a full-line Trostel catalog with the dimensions, so if you need it and if I can find it, I'll be glad to look up the Trostel 14223 and give you the seal dimensions.

Posted on: 2012/6/19 8:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
Thanks Ross and Owen for your help. I'll get those part numbers checked out to see if we can come up with a match. We do have a fellow over here who has a small hobby business selling Studebaker parts and, as I'm a member of the Studebaker Club as well, I'll give him a call. Also, Jeeps have been on the market over here for quite awhile now too so hopefully the Dana part number is a good lead. Owen, I appreciate your offer and I don't want to put you to any trouble, but if you are able to put your finger on that catalogue and dig out the dimensions, that would be very helpful in ensuring I buy the correct sized seal. Regards, John

Posted on: 2012/6/19 18:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Do you or your friend have that seal x-refhttp://www.studebaker-info.org/Cb/MetalSealXch.txt someone in the Stude club posted. I downloaded as a web page complete and then converted to a local text file to store on my system.

Many of the Packard part numbers cross to CR, now SKFhttp://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home/products?lang=en who apparently bought the old CR.

Here is the North American CR to SKF reference but there is probably one for your region as well.http://www2.chicago-rawhide.com/index.htm

Posted on: 2012/6/19 19:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
Thanks Men. I did a little more research and found a Studey website for Dana 44 seals and it provides the same part numbers as Ross did, plus Studebaker 199379X1 and NAPA 15788. It also tells me that the seal's ID is 1.5520", OD 3.1650" and width 0.6650". So I think I now have all the info that I need to try and track one down over here. Owen, thanks for your offer but it looks like you can rest easy on your catalogue search. Thanks all once again, I'll keep you posted on how I go. Regards, John

Posted on: 2012/6/19 19:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
JP, glad you're on the track of the correct seal; I did find my Trostel catalog but could not find the number mentioned.

Posted on: 2012/6/19 20:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
G'day Men. With a bit of luck it looks like we might have hit the jackpot, and the winning numbers are CR 15788. My supplier has that number in his computer and has ordered one in for me which should arrive tomorrow, at a cost of just under $20. I told him the dimensions I mentioned in my previous post and they pretty much match, although the OD is fractionally smaller. If it fits, albeit with some sealer if necessary, I'll list it on the X-Ref for others.

I have one question for those with better knowledge and experience, and that is how best to tension up the yoke when refitting, given that I'll be on my back on the garage floor. I do have an air wrench that I'll use to loosen the nut and I could use that for tightening, but I don't want to over-tension it and cause other problems. Or am I being concerned about nothing, and should just lean on it with a bit of muscle? Regards, John

Posted on: 2012/6/20 3:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
You'll have no trouble with the CR 15788, have installed them in everything from a 56 Caribbean to a Stude Champion to a Frazer Manhattan.

Safest approach is to mark the end of the pinion shaft and the nut and the flange with a punch or some paint and then just put the marks back into line when you reinstall. The Dana axles are a lot less fussy than the Packards in that regard. Perhaps they used a very heavy crush sleeve but I find the nut all but stops automatically in the right position as I tighten--to take it further would require a lot of torque.

Posted on: 2012/6/20 6:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
Thanks Ross, that's good advice and I'll do it that way, probably this weekend. It's getting pretty cold and wet around here at the moment which is a good enough reason for me to hide out in the shed and conveniently forget about the list of jobs that she who must be obeyed has compiled for me. That's the plan anyway! Regards, John

Posted on: 2012/6/20 17:23
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved