Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 141

JD in KC, kevinpackard, BigKev, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: '54 shock absorber question...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I also don't have any more specifics. I got my shocks from Tucson a few years ago and they are differnt Colors/mfgrs Front and rear. I think you are overanalyzing, but then again if you don't like the kanters you might be more particular than I. For about 120$ a Set I would give them a Try.

Posted on: 2012/6/28 16:42
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Bobby,

As far as I am concerned the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

My 53 came with a lot of new spare parts (late 60's vintage) including four new AC/Delco shocks in their packaging. I can run over later tomorrow and get the part numbers for you if you would like another reference number.

Posted on: 2012/6/28 22:18
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
I have a '54 Convertible (see registry) and I put Kanter shocks on it about 5 years ago; I put their regular shocks on the front and air shocks on the back. The ones that were on it looked decades old and were completely shot. I also replaced the front and rear sway bar bushings as they were all cracked and pounded out of shape. The Kanter shocks seem to be OK to me, I felt a real difference in the ride and handling. But I still wasn't totally happy with the ride, it was harsh in the front over bumps and dips. Just about a year ago, I replaced the front springs (ordered them from Springs 'N Things) and what a difference that made! I'm sure those front springs were original, since they had the Packard part number stamped into them. I guess we can forgive them for wearing out after 57 years of service.

I know you mentioned that the rest of the suspension is up to snuff, but do you know if the front springs have ever been replaced? All I can say is it made a world of difference in my car's ride, and I've even stopped wincing over bumps and dips in the road! I hope this is helpful to you.

Posted on: 2012/6/29 0:58
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Based on the info on the Monroe shocks in this string of discussion, I went to the Monroe website and verified the parts numbers, then clicked on "dealers in your area" and came up with the local O'Riley's here in Billings. Visited them today and they had the parts in the local warehouse. I'll put them on shortly, when we get a bit of a break in the heat. I'll let you know how they perform after installation. Thanks

Posted on: 2012/6/30 19:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Thanks, guys..I appreciate it. I am sure I am over thinking this...

There aren't too many choices for shocks out there: Monroe... and a cross reference for Gabriel. Having been disappointed once, I'd like to avoid that again. The Kanters were really bad, the ride was hard and the car crashed over most everything.

The springs are Ok, so i don't think that's the issue..

Posted on: 2012/7/1 12:37
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Just finished putting the Monroe shocks I got from O'Reily. Not a difficult job, and they made a world of difference. The car rides much better now. Not too expensive either.

Posted on: 2012/7/5 16:19
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved