Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
169 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 168

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

'54 shock absorber question...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Hi again, guys..

What is the preferred retailer for shocks for a '54 Patrician that will return the ride to as close as new as possible?

I have Kanter 'OEM's' on them, and haven't liked them at all..they crash over the slightest imperfections, even though the other suspension parts are up to snuff, and would like to install something that would return the ride to OEM. I don't know about the specifics of shocks, if theirs are specifically valved for Packards..somehow I doubt this...or if it's a standard shock that is sized for our cars...and if there's something out there that will give a better ride, and from whom.
Thanks!

Posted on: 2012/6/24 20:28
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Re: '54 shock absorber question...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Monroe has some listed on their Website. They have "50's sounding " type name with 'sens-a-trac-o-matic' you could try those.

Posted on: 2012/6/25 1:54
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Have found that some of the new shocks that fit the 51-55 cars at the front have WAY too much rebound damping and actually pull the front of the car down as you drive. The car doesn't recover its ride height after a first bump and then bottoms on the second. On the TL cars it actually causes a tug of war with the leveler.

I have been using Monroe Sensatrac shocks for many years with good results but they don't make that in a stud-top-and-bottom style. I buy the 5801 which is for later Impalas and cut the crossbar off the bottom. Then I weld on a 3/8 bolt in its place using many small welds and cooling in between. They give a very nice ride as they were designed for a large front-engined car.

If your car has a lot of options, and especially air, then I recommend the Impala police car version 5906.

Both of those shocks fit a 56 with no mods tho the cross bar is a bit short. There is even a coil-over version, 58263 which is the cats pajamas for TL cars with saggy bars that can't take longer pins.

Posted on: 2012/6/25 5:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Is anyone with a pre '55 (I have a '54) running the Monroe's, and how do you like them?

Posted on: 2012/6/25 11:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I guess I wasn't clear, I have installed dozens of pairs of those shocks on 51-54s with good results.

Posted on: 2012/6/25 12:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Thanks Ross...It's not you, your answer was very thorough..maybe too thorough, I'm a simple guy who takes direction really well, especially on matters I'm not familiar with!

Can you make a recommendation for F+R for a '54 Patrician, i'm looking to return the ride to as close to OEM as possible, I'm assuming there aren't too many choices out there, and that regardless of the vendor, they're all going to be the Monroes? or maybe put another way, the Kanter's I have I don't like and therefore would want something from a different manufacturer.

Posted on: 2012/6/25 13:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Monroe Part numbers from the Monroe online parts catalog are:
Front 5751 sensatrac
Rear 31125 Monroe matic

Posted on: 2012/6/25 13:42
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
I saw the Monroes..and maybe I'm over thinking this...but different shock models for F+R would mean different ride characteristics? Are there any other choices?

Posted on: 2012/6/25 21:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Anyone else? have i worn out my welcome? :>

Posted on: 2012/6/28 12:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Anyone else? have i worn out my welcome? :>

Don't think any welcomes are worn. Just don't think there are many known and proven choices. Other than those mentioned, think about the only other option is to take the dimensions and particulars or old shock to a friendly parts person. Go thru catalogs to find something else that might fit. If there is a misprint or bad data, that might not even be sufficient unless you have the new shock in hand.

As an example, one shock interchange lists the same shock as fitting 55-6. As we know, mounting is different between those years so the same shock won't directly bolt without extra pieces or work. If a 56 guy ordered it, he would be a bit out of luck because no mention is made of the difference or anything else needed.

Not sure different numbers necessarily mean different ride. More likely different numbers are due to mounting particulars and stroke length.

Posted on: 2012/6/28 13:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved