Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
242 user(s) are online (174 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 242

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Some general questions about 30's Packards
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tomsriv
See User information
Hello all,
This is my first post. I am 30 years old and have restored a few cars including a '71 Riviera. I have always loved the 30's styling and I have decided to start looking for a 30's Packard project car. I would like a 4 door and I have a few questions to narrow down my search.

1. When did Packard switch from wood to all steel bodies?

2. What years did Packard use the grill with the rotating slats? What is the official name for this?

3. I am thinking of getting a 6 cyl because they are more affordable and still have the look. Which models are six cylinders? 105-120? Would a Packard Straight 8 fit in the engine bay? Would a 55-56 Packard V8 fit in the engine bay? If I wanted to go fast I would build a Nova, so I would only swap in a Packard 8/V8 if I did it. I just like the smoothness of an 8.

I'd like to spend around 10k, so I know that eliminates 2 doors and high end models, but I want a 4-door anyways because classics are more fun to enjoy with friends. I have seen them in this range on ebay, what model is the best Packard deal?

Tom

Posted on: 2008/5/9 14:54
 Top  Print   

Re: Some general questions about 30's Packards
Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
First of all welcome to a great site !

Packard first used an all steel body in 1938,built by the Budd corp.

The grills of many 30's Packard's where "thermostatic" and are operated by linkage connected to what is called a Syphalon themostat mounted in the top radiator tank.I don't know what year they started that.

I have a 38 "SIX" (110 in 1940)And love it !
The 120 is the eight cylinder model also known as th"Eight"
I suggest looking at the model info in the main menu and find a style you like.
As for installing a V8 in one of the earlier chassis-it can be done.Don't know why you would? The straight 8 in the 120/160/180 has more than enough power and is proven very,very reliable.The six is also a very powerfull engine(100 h.p.) and just as reliable.Parts for these engines have great availability.
Good luck on your search and don't be shy.

RT

Posted on: 2008/5/9 16:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The shutter-controlled engine temperature regulation was manufactured by Pines and known as a "Pines Winterfront". The thermostat was made by Fulton Sylphon. This type of unit was used on many makes of cars; on Packards from at least the late 20s thru 1942. A few of the junior models used it as well, for example the 1938 Eight (aka 120).

I could be wrong, but I thought the Packard all-steel bodies were built by Briggs, not Budd. Briggs began making all Packard bodies in 1940 and continued thru 1954 when the Briggs family sold the business to Chrysler who was their largest customer at that time.

In 1938, the senior Packards (Twelve and Super 8) still used composite bodies (wood framed, steel skinned); in 1939 only the Twelve remained as composite as the 1939 Super 8 was really an all-steel 120 body with the old Super Eight (originally the Standard Eight) engine.

Posted on: 2008/5/9 17:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Some general questions about 30's Packard's
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Tom: Steel bodied Packard's were introduced in 1935 with the introduction of the 120. All senior Packard during this period were mostly composite bodies.

On November 11, 1936 the Packard 115 was introduced at the National Automobile Show in New York City. The Packard 115 was the six cylinder model for Packard.

Welcome to the forum

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/5/9 18:21
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Re: Some general questions about 30's Packard's
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
John, At the risk of being repetitive, from what I have read, the first all steel production Packard body was used in the 1938 Junior (120 and 115 models). The Super Eight continued with the wood/steel type of body for the 1938 models only and the Twelve continued with this type of body until being discontinued after 1939. I didn't know that Briggs made the Packard bodies in 1940. I always thought that they didn't make Packard bodies until the Clipper came out in 1941. You can learn so much on this site.

Posted on: 2008/5/9 19:30
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tomsriv
See User information
Intersting that their is no definitive answer on the steel body issue. I really like 34-38 Packards, but I would love to have anything from 30-41. I hadn't heard the term senior body before, but I think the 115 and 120 are more in my price range. Did they make a mid-size body? I have an original sales brochure of '38 Buicks, one of my other favorite 30's cars and it shows all 21 body styles they offered that year. They had 4 series, 90, 80, 60 and 40. Is their anything like that available for Packards on the net?

1938 Club Coupe, To clarify, if I found one with an 8 I would definatly keep it. If I got one with a six I would want to swap in an 8 if their is room. If only a V8 would fit then I would have to go with a packard V8.

Posted on: 2008/5/9 20:37
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Tomsriv
See User information
One more thing, how do you pronounce "Syphalon"?

Posted on: 2008/5/9 20:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
I don't think you could squeeze the L head Packard eight under the hood of a 30's era Packard six (110/115).The 120 is about 5 or so inches longer than the 110/115 just for that reason.The two bodies do share a great deal of parts.

There are several brochures on this site that will be of help,including the 1938 Packard Six & Eight brochure.

I take a stab at the proper way to pronounce Syphalon,
Sie-fa-lon ? (I failed english and it shows!! lol)

I haven't had my right door panel off since last Febuary,but I'm almost positive it say's Budd on the Patend tag ?
You said in your first post That you "like the smoothnes of the V8" -The Packard L head 6 & *8 cylinder engine's are some of the smoothest running engines in the world!
Packard Motor Car Co. has been called "The Rolls Royce of The U.S.A.(I'm think it might have been the other way round!)

Too all reading this and looking for a car-look at Craigs list -San Fransico and Sacramento- A couple of nice Packards are listed.

RT

Posted on: 2008/5/9 22:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Here in about a month I'll let you all know what it takes to put a straight eight in a '37 115c chassis, as that's exactly what I'm doing.

Posted on: 2008/5/9 23:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:
Here in about a month I'll let you all know what it takes to put a straight eight in a '37 115c chassis, as that's exactly what I'm doing.

Eric!

Down boy! Yours is a somewhat different proposition to that Tom is contemplating.

Tom,

To see what Eric is doing, go to his Packard Speedster thread in Project Blogs. I suggest you look for an Eight - 38 or 120 - 39/40/41 as this will obviate the need for an engine swap as these all have the 282ci straight 8.

And last but far from least, to the site. And when you get your Packard, and you well, could you please put it in the Owner Registry with a pic and it's history, if known?

Posted on: 2008/5/10 2:58
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved