Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 107

Packard Don, Don B, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Should I replace steel brake/gas lines?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I've had copper-nickel tubing, which should be available at any good local parts store these days, installed to replaced blown brake lines on my late-model daily driver because of the "anti-icing" agents used on winter roads here. I highly recommend the stuff for high-corrosion operating environments.

However, the copper-nickel tubing is so soft (can easily shape it with your bare hands) that I would be concerned about vulnerability to "road rash" and vibration. That is, additional wrap/armor might be needed at some points on the vehicle.

On the other hand, stainless steel tubing is a lot tougher - so much that it's PITA to bend and flare. Yet, even if you can get preformed lines for your car, I've heard too many complaints about trying to get a good seal at the flared ends. I've concluded that SS tubing isn't worth the hassle for a recreational vehicle.

As such, I'm sticking with traditional steel lines (and DOT5 brake fluid) for the antiques that won't see winter use. I already have tools for and experience with shaping that stuff to duplicate originals.

Good luck with whatever material you choose.

Posted on: 2012/7/5 8:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Gene, over on your similar post on PAC I gave the brand of cupro-nickel brake and gas line tubing I have used and highly recommend it.

Posted on: 2012/7/5 8:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
Thanks for the information. I went out his afternoon looking for the tubing and the places around here acted like they had never heard of the nickle tubing. Can you recommend a good place to order it from? I intend to replace the tubing and all connections.
Also, I think I have the sizes wrong. I went out and pulled one line from the gas and brake and it appears that the brake is 5/15" and the gas is 1/14" on this car. The NAPA guy seemed to think so but he didn't have any means to measure it or didn't want to take the time. I guess I'll have to find my calipers unless some kind soul comes to my rescue.
Gene

Posted on: 2012/7/5 13:18
1949 Packard Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special

War doesn't determine who's right; war determines who's left.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The particular tubing I recommended to you over on PAC is available at AutoZone and most other good autoparts stores. It is DOT approved for brake use.

Here for info:http://www.agscompany.com/automotive/brake-fuel-transmission-lines/nicopp/353

or just Google "Nicopp" for lots of other info.

Posted on: 2012/7/5 14:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Gene:

The copper nickel brake line is the way to go. It flares beautifully and that helps seal old brass fittings without overtightening. Some people don't like it because it is not steel color. I have to go through some pictures I have of new Packards and check to see if they were painted black.

For the fuel line copper is the way to go. The OD size should be 3/8. You need a good seal on fuel lines to prevent vapor lock like symptoms and soft copper flares well. Use a good double flare kit.

To determine the line size take a combination wrench and put it over the line. That is your tubing OD.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2012/7/5 14:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Gene -

It's incredible that any seasoned parts counterman doesn't know about the copper-nickel line by now; I began stocking it in the GM dealership I worked at over in OH back in 2007 or 2008. If a store doesn't want to take time to work with you, walk right out, and go spend your money with someone else who will.

No Advanced Auto Parts or Carquest stores in your area? Try Eastwood or Jegs or even Amazon online.

Regardless of where you buy, you'll find that the copper-nickel tubing is generally sold in 25-foot coils, and runs about twice the price of steel. However, a friendly local store with active trade in the product might also dispense by the foot, though at a slightly higher price than bulk coil.

In general, most brake lines are spec'd as 3/16", but 1/4" is sometimes used for the line from the master cylinder to the rear axle junction on larger vehicles. Most fuel line is spec'd as 5/16"; some newer vehicles even use 3/8".

If shopping locally and in doubt about the size of a particular line, twist off a fitting (which is probably gonna happen anyway when you try to disconnect any rusty old steel line), bag it, tag it with location, and carry it along to the store for comparison.

Posted on: 2012/7/5 16:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
BH:
I just talked to Advanced Auto Parts and they told me that it does not even show up as something they can order. He said it must be really new. I explained that several people I had been in contact with had installed it in the past and he appeared doubtful and said they must have ordered it on-line. O'Reilly did not even know what I was talking about but the NAPA guy did have some in the 1/4" size but not in the 5/16" size. I'm guessing this takes the standard steel fittings as the steel tubing. I think I'll just have my local NAPA store order it for me in the 1/4" and 5/16" size after I check the sizes at a couple of locations. All of the lines appear the same size to me but a 16th of an inch would be a little hard to tell for my old eyes.
I've also got to get new connectors for the 3-way connection in the front and rear. The one on top of the rear end is larger and appears almost like a proportioning unit. I'll have to check to see if Packard was using them in 39.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Gene

Posted on: 2012/7/5 19:38
1939 Buick Special

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not sure about your exact year and model but the device on the top of the rear axle is typically just a junction block that also incorporates the atmospheric differential vent.

Posted on: 2012/7/5 20:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
I'm redoing a 39 Super 8. This junction is held on with a large bolt (appears to be about 1/2") into the differential housing. It is about twice as large as the 3-way connection on the front of the car.

I checked both Max Merritt and Kanter an neither one offers a replacement part for this item.

Gene

Posted on: 2012/7/5 21:11
1939 Buick Special

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I got copper-nickle tube at my local AutoZone. The manager said he had never sold any and they had a good stock. I don't know if you have AutoZone in your area, if you do try them. I think the T on your rear end is a vent to the housing and a junction for your brake lines.

Posted on: 2012/7/5 21:23
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved