Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
193 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 192

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Transmission Modifications/replacement
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

smith
See User information
I'm very satisfied with the 700R4 conversion Bendtsen did on our 55 400.

Posted on: 2012/9/8 7:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Tim Cole wrote:
I guess the only problem with the stick shift conversion is that Barry's car has a V-8 in it. That creates a real parts problem...

Tim, true. The scarcity of V-8 manual shift bell housings and flywheels is a real problem, but the nasty to get parts for the shifting for a 51-54 are still out there.

Probably some other auto trans is a better answer. Recently saw a '54 Panama with a Torque Flite trans. Engine was S-8. Even the shift quadrant had been nicely modified to show the TF pattern.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/9 15:49
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Barry,
Nice looking car. I would love to see the engine compartment with that setup. Did the transmission come out of a 56 400 as well?

Posted on: 2012/9/9 16:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
I keep thinking about a GM 6L45/6L50/ 6L80/ 6L90. Need 12v and the electronics but it seems it would improve the performance and gas mileage a ton. I have even thought of an Allison 1000.

I don't see many thinking this route though.

John

Posted on: 2012/9/20 20:49
John Rhodes

1953 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Noone wants computers on their car. I don't even want them on my late model grocery getters. Rite now i'm trying to figure out how to convert a 2002'ish Ford V8 back to points or at least the 1988 ford e-ignition. Ditto for 01 Dodge Ram V6.

I just don't need any $700 computers on a car. Many of the younger drifter builders are trying to get away from them too.

What are u going to do when that hi dollar computer to control the trans takes a shit?????

Posted on: 2012/9/20 21:00
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might PM Kevin AZ as he has the 4L60E with an aftermarket replacement for the computer in his car. Not a whole lot of information other than it had a new bellhousing cast to match the Packard V8.

I believe I remember reading the person who engineered the conversion is no longer with us. If true, no idea if anyone has picked the project up and still doing it.

Posted on: 2012/9/20 21:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information
It must be a generational thing. I am 31 and I like electronics on a car, The 1st thing I like to get rid of is points and a carb. My dream is to build a straight 8 with AEM Infinity Engine Management. Everybody's different and I understand sticking to what you know or feel comfortable with.

John

Posted on: 2012/9/21 5:32
John Rhodes

1953 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
IT's not a matter of generation or comfort levels. IT's a matter of cost and effectiveness and how the engine will be used. Sure, building an AEM would be a great project just for fun.

But here is the question that none of the e-ignition and computer engine management buffs will ever answer:

When the eletronic controls malfunction out ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD then what do u do and how much does it COST and how long does it take to repair it?????

SPare coil, condeser, points, and cap about $50 if i shop for them. Carry the parts in the trunk. Common basic hand tools to install them in about 30 minutes. No special equipment or tools needed

Now, what will the AEM spare parts for emergency repairs cost to carry in the trunk and what kind of special tools will be needed????

IT all boils down to $$$$$$$$$.

Posted on: 2012/9/21 6:34
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i'm 31, rebuilt the original TU transmission and will be using it. carb rebuilt and will be using it. dizzy i can go three ways....single points....dual points....or petronix....all can be carried in my trunk for little money.

personally i hate the electronics...too much to deal with, i don't want to bust out my laptop to tune my car. (mind you i do have a supercharged z3, so this is not foreign to me)

give me old school anyday.

Hank

Posted on: 2012/9/21 8:46
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
Just an idea for the transmission department is a gear vendors unit. They have a universal unit that mounts in the middle of your drive shaft with U joints and it operated with basic electric solenoids from what they claim you would get about a 25% increase in gas mileage and better performance. As a side note I'm 27 and I love carbs and points they are just simple and easier to me to tune and work with but I have never been stranded on the side of the road in my Fox Mustang (or any computer car I have owned) due to a computer failure. The OE companies didn't go to them to make people hate life but due to the mileage, performance and cold start abilities that you get with FI engines and computer controlled transmissions. Chrysler played around with EFI as early as 57 but the technology wasn't there to make it practical. If they had modern circuit technology in the early days I have a firm belief they would have used it.

Posted on: 2012/11/12 1:26
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved