Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
240 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 240

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

reinstalling horns 1937 115c
Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
okay guys took horn off three years ago..should have taken photos prior to disconnecting...but at 64 i forgot how to put them all on

I take it the horns on the bracket complete the ground. each horn has two pigtails prob for the power..

dont know where the horn relay is inside or outside? some how it looks like they are all joined together with the power source. to the relay hmmmm

the diagrams look like the pigtails are together according to the diagram so both function as one

notice the two leads the shorter one goes to the starter solenoid the longer one who knows...

any help appreciated...probably quite simple

thanks
Sandy

Attach file:

jpg  (119.77 KB)
623_4ffc9d8ca1ccb.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2012/7/10 16:24
 Top  Print   

Re: reinstalling horns 1937 115c
Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
okay i found the horn relay in a box probabaly took it off the same time as the horns. so it must have been on the engine compartment side....i noticed two holes on the horn bracket itself is the relay attached to the two holes in the bracket didnt see any holes in the cowl for installation of the bracket

Posted on: 2012/7/10 17:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
on the tape wires while fooling around one of the terminal ends hit bare metal and it sparked dont know which one Im assuming that is the hot wire coming off the starter) the shorter one. and the long wire is the one that goes to the steering colun button...sound correct to you?

Posted on: 2012/7/10 17:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
okay Im assuming at this point the horn relay attaches to the horn bracket itself on one end of the relay there are two small brackets to attache leads so I assume both horn pigtails are attached to one and on the other the lead from the starter moto is attached to the other.

on the other end is a single holed bracket i believe that this is where the longer lead from the horn button itself is attached

Attach file:

jpg  (142.31 KB)
623_4ffca9c21482f.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/7/10 17:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure what year this is but looks similar to yours. Relay looks new though. Usually there are some letters next to terminals or maybe under screw (and a square washer & if those are used) on relay to identify connections. H would be horn and both horn wires would connect, B battery which sounds like the wire that sparked and S or switch or the horn button. Does the 37 horn button wire come out the bottom of steering box so you can follow it or is that only on later cars .

EDIT: If you don't see any markings, I would connect battery to single terminal on the one side and then ground the square terminal on other side to see if relay clicks. If it does then the horns go to the other round terminal.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.70 KB)
209_4ffca9d04ccd6.jpg 596X683 px

jpg  (11.73 KB)
209_4ffcaa8351074.jpg 337X138 px

Posted on: 2012/7/10 17:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
well it looks like the harness is make shift by someone in its life...however the longer lead itself does appear it is the horn button wire as it goes into the frame

Posted on: 2012/7/10 17:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Sanford,

Here's a link to my experience on horns for my 40. There is also a link within this page that explains the horn mechanism in detail.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5878&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=70

Hope this helps.
Joe

Posted on: 2012/7/10 18:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
thanks still no horn hooked up according to diagram could be i dont have a good ground on the bracket...However problem number 2 surfaced tonight had to be towed home by neighbors down the road...

took for a test drive a little back fire then it seemed to drive okay for a while....then nothing total loss of power to a dead stop ...cranked it but nothing..a couple times it wanted to kick over but nothing...hmmm here we go again either electrical , mechanical or fuel
a few guys came out i did tap the gastank and it sounded hollow...hmmm maybe no gas...the gauge does not give a true reading it shows a 1/4 if a tank but it sure sounded hollow as my neibors gave me some gas...by this time the battery was too low for adequete crnaking so they towed me back home with a rope..

so I must forget tht horn issue...tonight and work on getting the car going tomorrow...i put gas into her tonight ,and pulled the battery an put it on the trickle..then tommorrow I'll pull the distri cap and see if the points have the proper gap and if not readjust..ive seen that happen on many cars

Posted on: 2012/7/10 21:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
A while back I did something different to my 115C. Not liking the look of the horns and bracket on the cylinder heard, I moved them to the firewall. The horn assembly was just begging to be moved to the flat place on the firewall; such a natural looking spot for mounting. The horn assembly is heavy, and I used an angle iron bracket to mount the horns and relay, and a wider reinforcing plate on the inside of the firewall. I know the purists will voice loud disapprovals, but I think the horns in their new location look quite smart and clean up the look of the engine compartment. I was impressed by the spring steel brackets that mount the horns and retained them. Lots of work and many stainless steel bolts, nuts and washers to finish the job.

(o[]o)

Attach file:

jpg  (28.02 KB)
565_4ffcecb1055fd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.27 KB)
565_4ffcecc8a2d57.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.06 KB)
565_4ffcecdaf29a7.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.65 KB)
565_4ffcecf1b1e34.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.29 KB)
565_4ffced06b9acb.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2012/7/10 22:05
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
yeah that looks nice..

Posted on: 2012/7/10 22:34
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved