Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 172

ElGroucho, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

defroster/heater motor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Hello Everyone,
I am just about finished with sorting out the wiring on my '47 Clipper. Question about the defroster/heater motor. The fan turns, but I can barely discern air movement at the defrost vents. I noted that the some of the coiled wires on the dash breaker switch appear to be corroded or perhaps melted. Is it likely that the switch is not allowing enough power to the motor, or, am I just expecting too much from motor and fan?
Thanks,
Mark

Posted on: 2012/7/16 0:30
 Top  Print   

Re: defroster/heater motor
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mark,

You probably know that these units have a lever on them to direct air to the windshield or floor. Also, there are two switches on these senior Clippers: 'Defroster' that works the unit under the instrument panel; and 'Heater' that operates the under seat unit. I believe they are two speed settings. Have you checked the tubing that goes from the unit to the defroster outlets? I hope this helps.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/7/16 10:12
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If your car has this same type defroster/foot warmer as my 47 and all air is directed to defrost, then it's air flow is fairly robust -- although nothing like a new car.

I tried a couple of defroster units I had and one did run faster than the other. First thing to look at is the ground. It appears to be supplied by the two mounting bolts and as you can see on this one, dirt, corrosion, rust etc can really mess things up. On the slower one, I played around and cleaned the stud where the ground connection was being made. With a better ground, it did run faster and outputs finally matched fairly well.

My heater and defroster switches look like this one. If the switch does turn out to be a problem or resistance connections are corroded or loose under the connecting rivets, not sure how much can be done without proper equipment. The ceramic is delicate and can break if much force is applied in the wrong place. Maybe some contact cleaner will help. At any rate, when I first took the switches apart they were pretty bad inside so maybe cleaning the switch itself would help. If the problem is with the connections, there is a company that rebuilds switches so would probably have the tools and expertise to redo the rivet connections safely.

Did a few electrical checks and while not the most scientific methods, results might give a starting point to determine if the switch is the problem or if motor is sluggish and needs work.

No 6v battery was available so used my 50 amp charger. Output was 7.1v. Both units were drawing about 5-7 amps at high speed.

First notch or High delivered 7.01v to motor so approx .1v drop in switch.
Second notch or Med delivered 5.80v. The resistance unit is too low to measure accurately with my meter but think it is about .5 ohm at that point.
Third notch or Low delivered 4.60v and am thinking total resistance is 1.0 ohm.

Using a regular 6.3 volt battery will have slightly less volts but still proportional.

Attach file:

jpg  (65.16 KB)
209_5004324673d87.jpg 1200X640 px

Posted on: 2012/7/16 10:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Thanks guys,
Howard, I cleaned the switch and viola! Both speeds now work nicely. Thanks - I owe you another one.
Mark

Posted on: 2012/7/16 16:47
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved