Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
79 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 79

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

VIN Plate Decode
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dan A
See User information
Was looking at a Packard for sale here locally and found the VIN plate interesting:

5562 = Custom

Trim = 22

But looking through the :

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1955_2_Upholstery.pdf

It looks like this trim was on the Super not the custom. And I thought the point of the Custom was the upgraded interior.

Thoughts?

Attach file:

jpg  (26.11 KB)
4650_50343ba0c9e4f.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/8/21 20:53
 Top  Print   

Re: VIN Plate Decode
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is interesting. The parts manual also shows 22 should be on a Super and not the Custom. Wonder if the interiors could be "downgraded" if the customer liked a particular fabric.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 21:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
I remain suspicious of any VIN tag that is affixed with pop rivets. What number does the vehicle's block have ?

Posted on: 2012/8/25 0:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Keen observation, Kevin!

Posted on: 2012/8/25 9:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Thanks Owen. Just today I drove an original 1956 Clipper deluxe here in Tucson. The attached picture shows the untouched VIN plate without rivets or screws for 55-56's. My counsel for fellows in the hobby is to always seek answers if there are indicators that something has been changed. If thereafter a reasonable explanation is encountered, one can then move on with a better understanding of the auto's lineage.

The VIN plate on the 5587 is from another original car; albeit from a junk yard here in southern Arizona and again without rivets and screws.

Attach file:

jpg  (51.36 KB)
20_503d4645d83e9.jpg 1280X760 px

jpg  (96.73 KB)
20_503d46812891c.jpg 1280X760 px

jpg  (129.17 KB)
20_503d47115cca8.jpg 1280X768 px

Posted on: 2012/8/28 17:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Even though the ID plate in question may or may not be original to the car, it does not appear to be altered (or if so, was a superb job) so the question still remains.

5562 is a Custom. Paint ED is listed as available on Customs but nylon upholstery trim code 22 is listed as available on Supers only. The Custom would have had a different higher quality fabric -- code 42 in that color combination. Either the literature is incorrect or they allowed a downgrade option.

Posted on: 2012/8/28 18:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I don't believe it was altered either. In fact I have not seen a 1955-56 tag that has been altered. So the mystery remains about the trim code. Typo on the machine operators part who was punching out the tags?

Posted on: 2012/8/28 21:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
I concur that the VIN plate appears genuine; however what about the rivets? If the rivets are to hold the VIN to the door jam, then it stands to reason that the plate POSSIBLY was not intended for the car in question if a switch took place somewhere in the past.

Also, as the cars left the factory in 55-56, how would a typical VIN plate been affixed to the door jam? Is it the same as pictured above?

To OD, anti-theft number documentation would have been great information source had it survived.

Posted on: 2012/8/29 16:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
All good points and questions. AFAIK, all 55-6 plates were adhered with the spot welds on either side of the holes as your later pictures show.

The interesting thing about that plate in question whether it belongs on that car or not is the factory stamped numbers. 5562=Custom 22=nylon upholstery in a plainer and different pattern supposedly only available on Supers.

Posted on: 2012/8/29 16:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dan A
See User information
Here is the Craigslist ad for the Clipper.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/3188051295.html

I don't recall the interior well, the car was full to the brim with old parts and computers!

Plus it was 115 out so I didn't spend much time investigating.

It wasn't till I got home and looked up the interior pattern from the picture that I realized the difference.

Posted on: 2012/8/29 18:11
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved