Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 222

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Concorso Reunion
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I was treated to a special surprise at this year's Concorso. The 1937 Packard Twelve Convertible Sedan (1508) was going to be exhibited.

I first saw this car in September 1954. As a young junior high school lad, I would go to my father's garage after school and help out by sweeping, dusting the cars in the showroom, cleaning restrooms, cleaning parts, and generally doing whatever low level jobs needing to be done.

As I walked into the building that fall afternoon I saw the biggest and blackest Packard I had ever seen. It was huge! It occupied the full length of a service stall plus some. I could not wait to sit in it, look at the giant V-12 engine, and experience the smell of its leather and wool carpeting interior.

The car had been recently brought to Santa Fe having been purchased in New Jersey and driven across the country. And, why not, it was only a 17-year old car at that time.

The Twelve's owner was starting a long-time customer relationship with my father, one that spanned a decade. It was in and out of the shop over the next few years.

In the early 1960s, when I was away in the navy, my father overhauled a 1938 engine for the 1508. The '38 engine was being used to power a saw mill in northern New Mexico. It was especially desirable because it had cast iron heads instead of the problematic aluminum ones.

At some point in time I lost track of the Twelve what with my life that now included a family, a job during the day, college at night, and all the activities that go with a young family. I had heard that the owner had sold the car to a party in Albuquerque.

The "new" owners bought the car in 1974 and have done a great job of maintaining and improving the car. In talking with them I learned that a 1937 engine has been installed so that it is 100% 1937 now. They were interesting to talk to and interested in my story about their Packard. Nice folks.

One of the best things about this reunion is I got to introduce my son and grandsons to the car and its owners. Photos of us Lawrences and the Packard are shown below. Unfortunately, I did not get a photo of all of us with the Packard. Also shown is a photo of the previous owner and Raymond Dietrich. Dietrich had retired and was living in Albuquerque. I don't know the date of the photo, but it must have been taken prior to the 1974 sell.

(o[]o)

Attach file:

jpg  (35.18 KB)
565_507f1c426925f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (45.99 KB)
565_507f1c551fd8e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (64.60 KB)
565_507f1c687f416.jpg 600X502 px

Posted on: 2012/10/17 16:05
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: Concorso Reunion
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks JW for that great story and photos. This hobby may on occasions give us a little small dose of grief, but an absolutely insignificant price to pay for all the great memories we accumulate and friends that me make along the way.

Posted on: 2012/10/17 16:20
 Top  Print   

Re: Concorso Reunion
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
man this is great! and why i'm glad to call you friend!

Hank

Posted on: 2012/10/17 22:45
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved