Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 113

West Peterson, PackardSanta, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1929 Packard AV identification
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

easyed
See User information
Just acquired a spare 1929 Packard standard 8 engine complete with clutch, transmission, pedals and all accessaries, even fan blade. The engine serial number is 257529A confirming it is a 1929. This engine would of been issued with a Johnson carburetor then replaced by a Detroit Lubricator 51. As I received it, it has a Packard AV carburetor. The only numbers I have found on this carburetor is P 5882 on the air valve seat casting. Nothing on any flange. Also, the air valve spring is only one piece and not the two springs as shown in the parts manual. Is this a true Packard part or reproduction? Any easy way to identify?

easyed

Posted on: 2012/11/8 0:25
 Top  Print   

Re: 1929 Packard AV identification
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
"Packard A.V." was Packard's marking for a Detroit Lubricator. I believe the factory carbs used on the 626/633 were the (1) Johnson R (1.5) 10-515, (2) the Packard A.V. by Detroit Lubricator, and (3) Detroit Lubricator #51-750. This information from the Carburetor section under "Reference" on The Packard Club website - I don't know the origin of this data but some of it shows the dates (months) of the changeovers.

Posted on: 2012/11/8 11:24
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

easyed
See User information
Is there any way to identify an original Packard AV?
easyed

Posted on: 2012/11/8 11:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
Does the AV in Packard AV stand for air valve? The Packard air valve carburetor used on early 1929 models is not the same as the Detroit Lubricator. I am attaching a picture of a Packard carb for the early 1929 small eights. It is missing the "bell" over the spring, but otherwise depicts what the carbs looked like. Is this an AV carb or a Johnson? It is not a Detroit Lubricator. The big eights for early 1929 used a similar carb, but larger.

Jim Wayman
640 Phaeton

Attach file:

jpg  (120.29 KB)
1238_50a2fca657e87.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2012/11/13 21:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
JIm, thanks for that information. I was incorrectly lead to believe the "AV" was made for Packard by Detroit.

Posted on: 2012/11/14 8:57
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved