Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 127

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine green paint
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
Hello chaps

This winter's project is to detail the engine bay of my 1930 7 series.

Can anyone advise what sort of readily available green engine enamel is out there?

Would this look stupid?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VHT-KERMIT-GREEN-ENGINE-ENAMEL-PAINT-SP760-/280903904279?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item41672d6c17

Posted on: 2012/11/19 14:19
1930 Deluxe 8 745 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine green paint
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Yes it would look bad. Bill Hirsch Automotive and maybe Kanter Auto Products carry the correct green for your engine.

Posted on: 2012/11/19 14:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Agree with packards1 -- that is a really green shade of green.

There is an x-ref on site for engine green that lists Dupont 546A Bell Green as a decent match. Might see if that is available in the UK. If not, is there any chance that there is something small painted and could be easily removed from the engine. Have a custom match made and put in a rattle can or two. Many over here do that for some of the odd colors.

Posted on: 2012/11/19 15:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
I was once told by a paint expert that there is no need to use a "engine enamel" unless the engine will be started very soon after painting. Engine enamel simply cures more quickly. Providing the normal enamel has time to cure, say a week, before the car is started then it is fine. So if this time period is OK you have a much wider selection of colours.

Posted on: 2012/11/19 15:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Absolutely correct. I have used modern catalyzed paint (Concept 2000) on engines with complete success.

Posted on: 2012/11/19 15:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
Thanks chaps

The dupont colour doesn't seem to be available over here. I've had colour match aerosols before but I always find them a bit watery and the success of engine enamel always seems to rely on getting a nice thickness coat on.

I'll have another look and report back

Posted on: 2012/11/20 14:32
1930 Deluxe 8 745 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved