Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
243 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 242

flopperwatcher, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

54 Patrician correct engine accessories
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
I'm always trying to learn and I've always liked the 54 359 engine. Anyway, what is not correct or is everything correct on this engine as far as color is concerned? I didn't think the filter canister was supposed to be bronze color. Also, I like to guess at Ebay auctions and I think this one will not go over $10K but get close--anyone else want to guess?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1954-Packard-Patrician-4dr-/170962387734?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item27ce270316

Posted on: 2012/12/24 9:05
 Top  Print   

Re: 54 Patrician correct engine accessories
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The oil filter IS black, I think what you believe to be the oil filter is the power steering pump reservoir. That, the pump below it and the pulley should be semi-gloss black. Ditto for the fan pulley and the transmission oil cooler. Towards the rear I see an unpainted core plug, the block was painted with them installed so it should be engine color. Blue spark plug wires with red boots are also incorrect. Perhaps more errors, those are just the ones that jumped out at me on first glance.

PS - oil filler tube appears to be incorrectly installed, it should be more erect (nearer vertical).

PPS - that car brings back pleasant memories of the 54 Patrician I owned years ago and drove as a nearly everyday car for tens and tens of thousands of miles. Same colors (Galahad over Orchard greens) but mine had the woven nylon "Matelasse" upholstery.

Posted on: 2012/12/24 9:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe the Easamatic brake can is usually black instead of natural steel color.

A very nice car though. As to price, ???. I usually guess wrong so no comment. There was a black Pacific for sale in Washington state for a buy it now price of 5k. It needed work but was not as horrible as some have been. On ebay for at least a week with apparently no offers. Would have thought it would have gone early at that price considering another went for over 3 times that amount the week before. Wonder if it sold.

Posted on: 2012/12/24 9:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Yeah, I saw that Pacific that went for $18K about a week ago on Ebay and then there was another red that ended yesterday at around $10K that looked as nice or better--go figure. It does seem the more you reveal and better the car is described the better it will sell on Ebay. I emailed the seller of the red Pacific three times about engine pics and the engine serial number and never got either. That was a red flag to me.

Posted on: 2012/12/24 10:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Looks like a Gear Start Ultramatic equipped Patrician.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2012/12/24 10:50
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Thanks for bringing that up JW. I never remember to ask but here goes:

what does gear start mean exactly?

Posted on: 2012/12/24 11:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Gear start was the name originally given at late 54 introduction to what became the Twin Ultramatic in 55 and 56. Guess they must have let engineering have the first go at a name instead of the ad people.

Like the later units, it had a two position forward or drive select function. One position would start and stay in high range with the shift to direct drive as regular Ultras had always done.The other or gear start position would start in low, shift to high, then into direct drive. The valving was refined for 55 and then refined again for 56.

Posted on: 2012/12/24 11:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved