Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
80 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 80

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1949 Custom 8 speedometer cable length
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

James Kallman
See User information
Does anyone know the exact length of the speedometer inner cable for the 22nd series custom eight with overdrive? I just had the speedometer repaired (at considerable expense) and don't want to break it. The last two cables broke about one inch before the transmission housing. I suspect the cables were too long, twisted, bound up, and broke. Or maybe it was the speedometer head that was frozen. But I don't want to take a chance on damaging the "new" speedometer. The last cable was about 87". I made it from the original speedometer cable end and a Dorman Help Speedometer Cable. The speedometer end piece of that kit does not seem to fit into the speedometer. So I had to solder the origingal end onto the new cable.

Acording to our Packard Literature and Manuals, 1948-1954 Packard Parts List, December 1, 1954, page 233. Group 10.127 "Shaft Assy - Cable and" the part number is 347535 "all 22nd; 23rd....Overdirve."

Posted on: 2013/3/25 6:10
 Top  Print   

Re: 1949 Custom 8 speedometer cable length
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
There was an earlier discussion on replacing the speedo cable on a 22nd series here. It may have some useable information for you.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 8:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
bj, I am in Austin too - northwest part - and have three Packards (1089, 2106, and 5542). I do not know if there is a speedo - tach shop in Austin, but if there is you could take your outer housing to them and they should be able to make up a cable of the correct length. Or, better yet, drive the car to them and let them fit one in the car. I think it would be better to have the cable fit to the housing rather than trying to figure out the correct length. Hope this helps.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/3/25 11:10
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

James Kallman
See User information
The correct length for the captioned cable appears to be 86 1/2 inches.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 22:06
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved