Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
77 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 75

DM37, 54packpac, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

I promised A/C pix; Here They Are!
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Assuming they upload.....

You'll note that the engine was cleaned up as this was underway....

The mechanics other calling seems to be for abstract photography. I hope he doesn't quit his day job.....

Attach file:

jpg  (104.78 KB)
2488_5175b5cb2e1db.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (142.93 KB)
2488_5175b5e0d030b.jpg 960X1280 px

jpg  (132.05 KB)
2488_5175b616483fb.jpg 960X1280 px

jpg  (304.43 KB)
2488_5175b67f63eac.jpg 1920X1275 px

jpg  (123.54 KB)
2488_5175b6aa0cf37.jpg 1280X850 px

jpg  (278.71 KB)
2488_5175b6d021982.jpg 1920X1275 px

jpg  (144.53 KB)
2488_5175b6fe1f227.jpg 1280X850 px

Posted on: 2013/4/22 17:02
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: I promised A/C pix; Here They Are!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Is that an alternator under the AC compressor?

Posted on: 2013/4/22 20:08
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
quote:
"The mechanics other calling seems to be for abstract photography."

Don't you own a camera or know to use one yourself to take some pics?????

as well as:

" I hope he doesn't quit his day job....."

If he's smart he will. It's a great hobby but wrenching on cars 8 to 12 hours a day every day for 20 to 30 years will turn a strong healthy young man into a crippled up old man looooong before he gets old.

Posted on: 2013/4/22 22:18
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
How (where) do the lines enter the passenger cabin to service the under dash unit itelf?

Posted on: 2013/4/22 23:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Couple of thoughts/answers:

That is the alternator under the compressor.

Most of the pix were taken with an older phone which probably wasn't the tool for the job.

ork took place over a three week period in his shop on a time-available basis. I just wasn't available for too many of the pix.

The mechanic that does a lot of my work is somewhat disabled by being a wrench turner for 30 years. Some days he does a few hours, some days he just takes pills and hurts.

This one help with the hose layout? Remember, double click on these for a larger image.

Attach file:

jpg  (119.58 KB)
2488_51762cbd28971.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/4/23 1:30
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Looks like they went in under the heater valve with AC hoses. With the hoses as low as they appear to be, curious how they look inside. When you can, a picture of the evaporator area would be nice. IIRC, you had a problem with the overall size on the first unit. Like to see which inside unit you finally chose & where & how they mounted it.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 8:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
We had a good presentation at the tech session conducted at this year's Texas Packard Meet in Salado. Basically, the presenter said that a whole system approach needs to be done when installing an air conditioner in our Packards.

Assure cooling system is in top condition. A marginal system will only get worse once the AC has been installed. He recommended a larger radiator and fan with an electric pusher fan installed for added cooling in traffic.

Install the largest condenser unit for space available.

An alternator was also recommended to take care of the added electrical load with AC. Interesting he is using a modern compressor (a Saden or Sanyo) on a 1941 Clipper 6-volt system. He noted that there was a "7.2V" stamped on the clutch. He claims that the 6-volt system keeps the clutch engaged. He also talked about converting to 12-volts due to the unavailability of dual shaft blower motors in modern AC units.

Additional insulation was also recommended. He uses the foil covered bubble type from home improvement stores. He claims this is more effective than the dense foil type most commonly used. He says put it every place you can - floors, doors, roof, everywhere.

We also discussed window tinting to keep the passenger compartment cooler. The draw back on using tinting is the look of the car is changed and this may not be acceptable to many owners. There is a new type window tint available that is clear, but filters UV like the dark tint.

He bought Jim Hollingsworth's 41 Clipper that Jim restored and outfitted with extra insulation and used the original type Packard trunk mounted air conditioner unit. He finished the installation that Jim started.

I hope this may be of some help.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/4/23 10:16
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
All interesting and appropriate suggestions. I know not many can do the insulation without tearing upholstery out so probably the one thing lacking for most addons. Looks like Pat has the others covered. My 56 had some roof insulation but not nearly enough so it's lacking but the floor was easy to do although I didn't use the bubble wrap. While the interior is gutted, am going to do the 47 as well so the bubble wrap stuff will be the way to go on it.

One thing I have been curious about seems to have opinions but no good answer. Did the presenter have a suggestion or is there a consensus on whether the reflective side goes toward the metal or the passenger side. Some say toward the metal because you want to reflect the heat before it hits the insulation plus the glue sticks better to that side. Others say toward passengers because in that scenario next to the metal, the reflective side is wasted and the air would be a better insulator than the reflective surface. Opinions??

Assuming the 47 reassembly gets that far, am going to be adding AC. Just what kind is up in the air. Trunk unit probably because of the defroster/footwarmer setup taking the available under dash room. Even tho wrong for the year I am seriously considering a prewar replica looking trunk unit. Not quite a stock unit though as I'm thinking about a twist or two which isn't worth going into here.

With that in mind, does anyone have or would be willing to take some good photos of the prewar trunk evaporator unit box and supply some overall dimensions. Would really like to see how it fits and sits under the shelf before I decide to spring for a repro. Preferably in the Clipper if the owner would be willing but if that is not possible, I have been told the box unit was identical to those used in conventional bodies if someone has one of those available.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 11:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard,

There was no discussion on the recommended way to install the foil side of insulation material. You are right, to thoroughly insulate an interior would require removing all of it. This is not an attractive job for someone who is not doing an interior restoration; although, doors and floors can be done in conjunction with an AC installation.

Here are three photos of a pre-war AC installation on a 40 Super 8. Sorry no dimensions. Also included is a photo of a modern AC compressor in a 55 400. They were taken a couple of years ago at an AACA Texas Tour. I may be able to trace the owner of the 1940 if you wish. I know the owner of the 1955.

What was most interesting to me in the tech session was the use of a modern compressor and clutch unit on a 6-volt system. But, this does not fix the problem of unavailability of dual shaft 6-volt blower motors.

(o{}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (90.81 KB)
565_5176bcefd00e5.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (143.91 KB)
565_5176bd10e848b.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (29.83 KB)
565_5176bd2729946.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (98.89 KB)
565_5176bd46272ce.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2013/4/23 12:06
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
89 Caprice has nothing more than a 3/32 or 1/8" thick ONE PIECE styraphome headliner with a tissue paper thin piece of trim fabric cemented to it.

I've tried various methods of soft fuzzy type insulation in the 56 Exec (nothing for roof yet) but not much sucess.

I'm thinking more along the lines of styraphone.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 12:15
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved