Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 137

JD in KC, 58survivor, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Starting a 10 year stored engine
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

vamman1
See User information
Hello everyone. Just acquired a 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe. Currently restoring a '67 GTO convertible but I could not pass up this beauty.

My question is this car had been barn stored for about 10 years. I am anxious to try and fire her up but concerned about what 10 years of being idle has done internally. The car worked fine I know for sure when they parked it.

Should I be concerned and try turning her over? The engine is not seized as we turned it over manually.

1954 Clipper Deluxe Sedan : 327 I8???

Thanks

Posted on: 2008/7/10 10:08
 Top  Print   

Re: Starting a 10 year stored engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Tonight when I have more time I will give the steps and details and preparation that should be done before trying to start the engine.

The method I learned was from a fellow who owned a Packard Dealership and was a Packard Master Mechanic. Brad Berry was a close friend to me and my wife for several years.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/7/10 10:33
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

vamman1
See User information
Thanks John, much appreciated!

Just a note, the head bolt nuts are corroded badly.

Chris Smith

Posted on: 2008/7/10 13:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As the engine is turning over freely, you may have an easy time of it. I'd pull the valve tappet covers and make sure none of the valves are stuck; if so a bit of PB Blaster may free them up. Then I'd drop the oil pan and clean it thoroughly, replace and install clean oil. Chances are the fuel pump, lines or tank need service so you might want to rig a gravity gas can overhead to feel the carburetor and either give the ignition a tune or, postponing that till later, make sure you have spark. Just before I tried to start it for the first time, I'd put a tbs of motor oil in each spark plug hole and turn it over on the starter motor for a few minutes to distribute some oil and to make sure you have oil pressure. Optionally, you may want to remove the carburetor top and make sure the needle and seat and float are functional. If the car is stick shift, make sure the clutch hasn't frozen in place, or to be extra safe, jack the rear wheels off the ground.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 14:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

vamman1 wrote:
Hello everyone. Just acquired a 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe...............Thanks

Chris,

Welcome to Packardinfo. If you haven't already done so could you please include your newly acquired Packard in the Owner Registry with a pic and known history?

Again,

Posted on: 2008/7/10 14:44
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Chris: Owen has given a very good account of the steps for waking your sleeping Packard.

Another thing that I would do is drain the old coolant, and try flushing the block, then add new coolant.

When trying to start your Packard I would have another person on hand keeping an eye on the engine compartment. That person doing the watching have a fire extinguisher close by.

In closing I almost forgot to say a BIG WELCOME to best Packard destination on the web.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/7/10 20:16
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
When turning the engine over by hand to see if it is not stuck be sure to turn it AT LEAST TWO full turns. I usualy do about 6.

If the carb is questionable u can use a lighter fluid can with gasoline in it and keep the engine running a long time just to hear for knocks or other problems. THEN address the carb. This method IS DANGEROUS if there is a backfire so stand back holding the can just at right angles to the air horn squirting a little at a time.

Be sure all vacuum lines are disconnected and the ports are plugged otherwise leaks may cause it difficult to start.

BE SURE to install a mechanical oil pressure gauge directly onto the engine where u can see it. I usualy disconnect all of the belts from the generator and power steering etc. U can runn the engine 3 to 5 minutes without coolant but no more than 5 minutes to be on the safe side.

Once u're happy with the engines first start and sound then address the carb, coolant etc. Otherwise u put alot of work into carbs and radiators and so forth and mite wind up with a big rod knock or something.

BE SURE TO USE A MECHANICAL oil pressure gauge mounted directly at the engine so u can see it during the first start up.

BE sure that the exhaust is not plugged with varmint nests etc. I have yet to start an engine that has set for more than a year without blowing a mouse nest out of it on start up. I had an m/c engine several years ago with mud dobbers nests in it that i couldn't see. Worked and Kicked on it for a week before i removed the exhaust. First kick after removing exhaust it started and ran like a new bike.

Posted on: 2008/7/10 20:31
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

vamman1
See User information
Thanks everyone.
I'll have a go at it in a week or so.

And I will register.

Chris

Posted on: 2008/7/11 10:16
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

vamman1
See User information
Had a quick go at removing some of the nuts from the head but they are badly corroded. Want to remove head before trying to turn over engine.
Applied some Liquid Wrench and they are still holding on pretty good.

My question is what should I use on these?
Apply heat but how?
"Gently" use an impact gun?
Use a long handle rachet?

Thanks

Posted on: 2008/9/9 12:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If they were put on at about 65 foot lbs and allowed to rust, it's going to take more than that much to loosen them. I'd suggest PB Blaster as the best rust-buster on the market, and a breaker bar. I wouldn't use an impact gun.

Posted on: 2008/9/9 13:01
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved