Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
97 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 97

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

39 charging issues
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
My 39 120 had been converted from 6 volt, positive ground to 12v negative with an alternator. When I rewired it, I changed it back to 6 volt positive and put a generator and a regulator on. I tested the engine, and it registered a negative charge, so I switched the leads on the amp meter, thinking that was the issue. I also grounded the regulator again. Still no luck - the engine shows a discharge when running at a fast idle, and if I disconnect the battery, the engine immediately dies. The generator was tested at the local shop and it showed that it worked well. The new wires are setup correctly to the generator.

Question - did I mess up the regulator? Or is there something else I need to be looking for?
Thanks

Posted on: 2013/9/18 19:00
 Top  Print   

Re: 39 charging issues
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Did you polarize the generator after installing? If so, there may be more going on but if not, that is generally a necessary first step when a generator or regulator is changed.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 19:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jason Smith
See User information
FYI, dis-connecting the battery while the car is running is not a good way to check the generator. It can actually create a voltage spike and damage other components in the electrical system.

Assuming you are dealing with a local auto electric shop, I would take the generator and regulator to the local shop and have them tested together as on the car, 6 volt positive ground. If both check ok, I'd ignore the ammeter and get a volt meter to check the voltage. Report back and we can try and help you from there. Feel free to contact me if you want.
-Jason
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
www.aerrebuild.com
jason@aerrebuild.com

Posted on: 2013/9/18 20:32
Jason
Starter, Generator & Distributor Restoration
jason@aerrebuild.com
www.aerrebuild.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Thanks - it helps to talk to someone who knows what they're doing! We have a good, old time generator shop here in Billings, who doesn't ask "Who makes Packard?" Would it help to check the voltage at the battery while the car is running? If I remember correctly, it should read more than six volts if all is well.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 21:24
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jason Smith
See User information
Check voltage at battery while not running should read 6.4 volts +/- a few tenths and should jump up to 7.5 volts or so once running/charging although any jump would indicate a charge of some sort.
-Jason
www.aerrebuild.com
jason@aerrebuild.com

Posted on: 2013/9/18 22:38
Jason
Starter, Generator & Distributor Restoration
jason@aerrebuild.com
www.aerrebuild.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Hi - still having problems with the generator. I've checked the wires to the generator and regulator, and have installed a second ground from the generator to the bracket in addition to the stock one going to the screws on the regulator. I took both the generator and regulator to the local generator shop and both checked out and are working well. I touched the A post on the generator to the negative post on the battery for a second to polarize it just in case that was an issue. The car will start and run, but no movement on the ammeter; just stays on full discharge. I swapped the leads on the back of the ammeter, just in case I wired it up wrong. The ammeter will jump momentarily when I turn on the headlights, but then just goes back to discharge. I'm completely baffled. Any suggestions?

Posted on: 2013/11/28 18:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Jason, re-read your suggestion. Hooked up a digital ammeter to the battery, which read 6.5 volts (had the charger hooked up just before testing). Upon starting, the ammeter still showed a discharge, but the voltmeter went up to 6.92 volts.

Next question - can I take a modern ammeter and install it using the old face? I suspect that is my next project.

thanks

Posted on: 2013/11/28 18:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
In post 6 above u indicated swapping ammeter leads and it STILL showed a discharge. Thetefore the ammeter is bad.

Posted on: 2013/11/28 19:09
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Ok, finally got the 39 out of the garage and out for a drive on a beautiful 54 degree day. Charged the battery up well the night before. Drove to my friendly mechanic's house and we installed a ammeter out of a 50 Chevy pickup, letting it droop below the dash. Testing it, we also checked out the battery with a digital voltmeter. The battery was reading just over 6 volts with the engine off. Repolarized the regulator and generator, but still barely any charge with the engine at a fast idle. My friend had a spare brand new voltage regulator on the shelf - we installed it and now things seem to be working ok.

The flack master is looking for a 39 junior series ammeter for me. If anyone else has one floating around, let me know. I can modify the Chevy gauge and make it look like the correct one, but that be a pita project. I would rather have a Packard one. I think the 39 and 40 gauges are the same.

I don't understand why the old regulator tested ok in the shop, but didn't on the car, but anyway the parts swapping worked. Thanks

Posted on: 2013/11/29 20:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
David,
I may have a 38, 39 or 40 ammeter. I can't recall how the ammeter is built into the ammeter/fuel gauge.

I can look tomorrow.
Pat

Posted on: 2013/12/13 20:59
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved