Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
243 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 239

BigKev, Don B, humanpotatohybrid, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Wiring color codes
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Working on correcting some 63 year old wiring issues on my 51 200, trying to stave off the day when I give up and buy a new wiring harness. In the Shop Manual, it gives color codes on the wires and I could use some help in translation. For example:

Code - my guesses
BK - black
G - green
BR - brown
BL - blue
Y - yellow
YR - yellow/red
O - orange
R - red
W - white
WGX - absolutely no idea
GBX - ditto
BRW - brown/white
BKO - black/orange

If anyone can correct my guess, or fill in the missing ones, I'd appreciate it!
Thanks

Posted on: 2014/11/6 19:42
 Top  Print   

Re: Wiring color codes
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The X means a crossed tracer so WGX would be white with green as a tracer in a sort of X pattern instead of a line or stripe. GBX would be green with the black in an X pattern. There is a chart and some basic explanations of various tracer patterns at RI Wiringhttp://www.riwire.com It is on the supplies page and the chart is on the Wire Colors and wire by the foot page.

Posted on: 2014/11/6 19:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Page 30 in the electrical section of the 1951-54 service manual has a complete listing of the color codes and wire sizes for 1951 models.

Posted on: 2014/11/7 2:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Thanks guys. I should have looked further into the shop manual. This will help greatly.

Posted on: 2014/11/7 14:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
For the '51 wiring there's a slight but confusing variation in the main harness in the dash, so IF you are going to replace it some time just be aware that Packard did change the way they ran a couple of wires there. From memory, the heavy gauge Red is spliced into another wire (or wires) close to the instrument cluster, so just keep that in mind. I can provide the details if needed.

Seems they did it to reduce the diameter of the harness there or maybe to save on cost of a few inches of wire(?) but electrically it does the same job.

After making a complete harness IMO it is probably better to buy a ready-made one as the cost is not too excessive considering the hours needed to make it yourself. Not to say it isn't enjoyable - just lengthy! Rhode Island wire is good quality, so I would say their harnesses are possibly quite good.

Posted on: 2014/11/7 17:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Thanks. I was rewiring the front lights as I have the bumper and grille off to do some touch up painting on the fender. The problem was primarily the junction blocks. Loose and cracked connectors, and frayed wires. Using the shop manual, I was able to replace the junction blocks, get better grounds and replace the damaged wiring. I will probably order a complete new wiring harness later next spring. But for now, the good news is that the turn signals and headlights work properly again.

The winter project is to get the 39 120 ready to repaint. I found a site on line that is able to provide the factory issue color of Packard Blue in acrylic lacquer.

They have several different types of paint and supplies available - here is their website:
http://www.tcpglobal.com

Posted on: 2014/11/7 20:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I think you'll be pleased with TPC's acrylic lacquer, I've bought rattle cans from them of acrylic in Packard colors for painting wheels - good paint and service, perfect color match.

Posted on: 2014/11/7 20:38
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jeff P-MN
See User information
My experience with R.I. Wiring service was very positive, a quality product which installed easily. Their instructions were very good and a couple of follow up questions by me were quickly researched and cheerfully answered. If some wires on one's car are in poor condition, safe bet to assume the rest are not far behind.

Posted on: 2014/11/7 22:24
1913 Ford Runabout
1926 Ford T Touring
1948 Chrysler NY’er Highlander
1948 Packard Station Sedan regrettably sold in 2019
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Where do I find a listing of wire gauges for a 48 model ? I know I will have to order some that are cut and missing - Thanks

Posted on: 2014/11/8 2:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Here is a list that I made for myself for 1948-49 models.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 97.37 KB; Hits: 47

Posted on: 2014/11/8 2:58
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved