Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
129 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 127

kevinpackard, Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

190 degree water temp in 1935 Packard Eight
Home away from home
Home away from home

AJS
See User information
According to my temp gauge my car is running at 190 degree, this is with outside temps at about 80 degrees. Will I hurt the car operating it at this Temp? Thank You. Andy

Posted on: 2015/3/9 11:04
 Top  Print   

Re: 190 degree water temp in 1935 Packard Eight
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If your gauge is accurate, you won't do any harm and in fact might have better combustion, etc. But I'd use a quality thermometer (or a heat measuring gun if you're into more modern technology) in the top radiator tank and verify the gauge is accurate. IMO the only issue with running at 190 deg. F is, as a non-pressurized system, you don't have a lot of margin to the boiling point. Are you shutters fully open at just above 160 deg. F.?

That said, assuming your Pines shutter-stat is functioning properly (they are 160 degree units) and unless the car is under stress or has some minor overheating issues, the running temperature should be much closer to 160 deg. F. except perhaps on a hard uphill pull or stop-and-go traffic on a hot day.

Just for comparison to my 34 Eight which has essentially the same engine and cooling system, on normal cruising at 40-45 mph of summer days (80-85 deg) my temperature will be just at the set point of the shutter stat, about 160 deg. On a long, hard uphill climb of a mile or more it can rise to 180 or so but when coasting the far side it will almost immediately drop back to 160, sometimes even less. If I push it (which I don't willing do) to 50-55 mph or so it will run hotter, about 170.

Posted on: 2015/3/9 11:11
 Top  Print   

Re: 190 degree water temp in 1935 Packard Eight
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
There have been several threads posted recently concerning overheating radiators. One of the best products that I've ever used was DuPont's #7 Radiator Cleaner, which is no longer available.

O-D (Dave) has mentioned it several times and has posted on the AACA Forum (3rd post) how simple it is to use. The oxalic acid is available on Amazon for $9 with free shipping and ordinary baking soda is a cheap source for the sodium bicarbonate used to neutralize the acid.

Oxalic acid is not a strong acid and can be safely used by wearing gloves, eye glasses or protective splash shield and by taking precautions to avoid being splashed with hot water.

One word of caution is not to use it in a system with aluminum.

Posted on: 2015/3/9 18:04
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved