Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 199

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Connecting rod bolt torque specifications !947 taxi 6 cyl
Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
HELP! Torque specs needed for 1947 taxi 6 cyl rod bolts. Engine was professionally rebuilt in 1999 and has performed well until rod bolt came loose in my driveway. I found the nut in the bottom of the oil pan and the rod cap held on by one bolt. There are no lock nuts or keepers on any of the rod cap bolts. The other rod caps seemed much too loose to me. The crank journal is fine so only replacing bearing on that rod. Open to suggestions and advice on re assembly. Hope to bring a running taxi to the National Meet next month. Thanks to all, Packardtaximan

Posted on: 2015/6/10 18:08
 Top  Print   

Re: Connecting rod bolt torque specifications !947 taxi 6 cyl
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
From the 46-50 SM. Believe the 2130 chassis uses the 3/8-24 nuts and bolts. It calls for a locknut but don't find the 7699 number they list as a 50.150 utility item to show the type. It may be a typo because locknuts are listed as 50.120 utility items and still didn't find the number.

For want of official info on the nut Packard used I think I would get some of the split type locknuts and use those.

Attach file:

jpg  (68.50 KB)
209_5578c71741368.jpg 663X803 px

jpg  (27.37 KB)
209_5578caabd4195.jpg 806X119 px

Posted on: 2015/6/10 18:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Packard (and all other makes) always used some sort of locking device on rod cap bolts, either cross-wired, cotters, tabs to bend, special locking nuts, etc. I don't know just which method the postwar 6s used but for certain they used some type of lock.

Posted on: 2015/6/10 19:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Roger, The connecting rod bolts have 3/8x24 nuts and locknuts.. The part number 7699 was 330754 and equates to a 9/16 Palnut. You will need 12 of them. This info is from an earlier parts book. I would also advise checking, there may be a 3/8x24 Palnut.

Posted on: 2015/6/10 19:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Thank you for the information. I have several repair manuals, but none that cover 46-50 Packards (the only years I own). A big thanks to Big Kev for all of the hard work to keep this site up and to everyone who makes this site the greatest. See you in Reading.

Posted on: 2015/6/10 20:53
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved